We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

Hi All,

I'm going to Sandals Royal Bahamian with my husband and parents in May. Can't wait!

I know there's not a lot of beach for walking but how is the swimming area? My dad likes to take long swims. Would it be better for him to swim in front of the resort or at the private island? Is there boat traffic?

Also, is it easy to sign up for snorkeling and scuba diving?

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Sandals Royal Bahamian...
9,418 Reviews
New Providence Island
washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

Hi, CrowsFly,

Definitely better swimming off the private island! The beach is small off the main resort area. Also, the bouy's aren't that far off shore. On the island, there are no bouy's and there's a few sand banks, and smaller tiny islands (or small pieces of land better described) that you could swim to. The other side of the island is used by cruise ships, so there might be a ship nearby, and Sandals itself sometimes runs snorkeling or scuba boats nearby, but nothing in terms of "traffic".

I didn't sign up for snorkeling or scuba myself (we brought our own snorkels, but heard there are a few quirks. You can't scuba on the day you arrive or leave (duh - you probably knew that), and I believe they don't go on Sundays. Also, they advertise 2 trips each day, but you can only do 1 because one is designed for new people and the other for experienced people.

1 other thing to note - walking into the water off the island is rocky, and some people may wish to bring water shoes.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful!

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

Thanks, Rick.

I had a feeling that would be the case with the main beach. I'll tell my dad that the private island would be his best best for swimming.

I'm going to try to sign up for the boat snorkeling but I'm bringing my snorkel gear so I can snorkel on my own too. Did you see anything good out there? Thanks for the tip about the water shoes.

Oh, a question for my mom. Are there hammocks on the private island?

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

We actually saw more on the dock side than the other side of the island, where most people set up camp. We saw a stingray, and a lot of fish.

As for hammock's... I recall there being some on the main resort, but I don't remember any on the private island itself. There aren't any trees on the beach that would lend themselves for a hammock. There is a stretch on the walk to the massage area on the island where there may be some, but I don't recall to tell the truth, and it wouldn't be directly on the beach. The beach chairs there are comfortably padded though and most have umbrellas.

4. Re: question about Sandals Royal Bahamian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:18