We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Royal Bahamian

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Royal Bahamian

OK I want to hear from someone that was just there as to what this resort is really like. Not someone that had issues and therefore hated it anyway. PLEASE be honest. Am I wasting my money here or will I be happy with the rooms and property etc. We are not getting the basic rooms so are paying more for Concierge etc. Never been to the Bahamas but just want a change from Mayan Riviera.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

Hi Vivienne,

People either love this resort, or hate it, depending on your expectations. I went for my honeymoon last October and had a blast. The property itself is older (some reviews say "run down", I prefer "mature"). In terms of the service, apparently they let go of a significant amount of their staff a few months after I left. While I hadn't noticed a lack of service, other reviews after me have commented on it. In terms of a basic versus concierge, I've heard that the concierge was useless in most cases. If you want to upgrade past the basic rooms, I would not do so unless you're upgrading to the butler level. With the butler level you can get reservations at any restaurant, have reserved pool chairs in the morning, have nightly turn-down service, etc... Having high expectations, I don't believe I would have enjoyed my honeymoon that much without the butler level service. I'm not one to complain or demand a room change or harass restaurant staff for reservations. That's not to say that it can't be as enjoyable without it with a little work (waking up early to get chairs, not having a hot room service breakfast, etc...), or just doing without some of these amenities, but having already experienced it one way, I wouldn't go back any other way.

Hope it helps,

Rick

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

I was there in May with my husband and my parents. I can't promise you that you will be happy because everyone is different. But I can say that WE loved it there.

I think you will be happier if you research the rooms and decide which area you would like best. There are really 3 distinct areas - the Manor building, the Windsor building and the Villas. We chose the Manor building because it has history and character and it suited us perfectly. It's convenient to everything and we liked the Manor pool better because it was quieter and less crowded. Some people might prefer a newer building like the Windsor or the privacy of the villas. Only you know what you want. You really don't need concierge because you can get anything for yourself that the concierge can get for you. Choose your room based on location.

Also, remember that the Bahamas is more expensive than the Mayan Riviera. If you expect it to be twice as nice because it's twice as expensive, you'll probably be disappointed. We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and it was very similar to SRB. Sandals cost more. But we wanted to go to the Bahamas this time.

Another thing to consider - the time of year you're going. The pools at SRB are not heated. Since we were there in May, it wasn't an issue for us. But if you're going in February, it's going to be cold. To me, the Sandals pools and swim up bars are one reason we go. I wouldn't be happy if it was too cold to get in the pool. This is something I really think SRB needs to address.

You asked what the resort is like. It is gorgeous. It has some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen. The food was good and you have lots of choices. The people working there went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The snorkeling was great. It is very romantic - hammocks and firepits and saxophone players at night by the pier. If you want to get off the resort and see the sights, it is easy to do and there are plenty of things to see (much more convenient than the Mayan Riviera). The private island is pretty and intimate.

Those are some of the things that we loved about SRB. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

Thanks for being honest. We have done more checking and have actually chosen the Windsor building. I am feeling better about the trip now and am looking forward to it. As you say, there are always people ready to complain about the smallest things. I think what the last two posts have done is to alleive my worries somewhat and we have decided to just go for it. If a resort is classed as 6 star it pretty well has to be good right?

Thanks again

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

When are you booking your trip? We recently booked for October.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

Not until December

Are you comfortable with your choice?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

At first I was very nervous, but lately the reviews have been really positive. We are not overly picky we haven't traveled many places so I think we will be happy, we got the Honeymoon Suite with the butler service.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

Thanks

Please let me know when you return what you thought of the resort. We have travelled quite a bit in the Mayan Riviera and Hawaii and Europe. Never done the Bahamas so are very curious. I am going with the mindset of "how bad can it be compared to London in December?"

Please keep in touch and have a great trip.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

We were there in April, Windsor building, butler level. Loved it. It is certainly not rundown, and the service was excellent. Some of the restaurants the service was a little slow, relax and enjoy, this is vacation. Water was beautiful, diving was great, pool water was not too cold although could have been a little warmer, this was the first week of april btw. We have been to Sandals Grande St. Lucia, which is a little newer but much harder to get too. Multiple trips to Hawaii, Bahamas have prettier water, easier to get to, but not as many varieties of fish for you divers. I highly recommend SRB to anyone. Would go back myself.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
718 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

Thank you Vivienne for askin those questions. I too am in the process of finding the "perfect" place for my first caribbean vacation and have wondered if Sandals is worth the money. I am thinking November. Been told the water should still be warm. Can someone tell me if the money I pay or am quoted beforehand is the total we should expect to pay at checkout (aside from anything WE add on over there)? I mean, there won't be any hidden fees?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Royal Bahamian

That is a really good question. We have put our deposit down and have to pay in full 45 days beforehand, we are also getting married there. I know when you check in you have to give them a credit card, I am hoping there won't be any "hidden fees".