We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nassau airport

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nassau airport

We rarely travel by air and have a couple of questions. How long should we expect to be at the airport after we land, gather our luggage and find a cab that can transport six people? Our flight is scheduled to land at around 3:15 pm on a Saturday in July.

We have e-tickets for this trip. I plan to check-in on-line within 24 hours of our departing flight and print tickets from home, but how should I plan to check-in and print returning e-tickets if I have no access to internet. Is this something that is easy to do at airport before our departure time? Would hotel assist us in checking in and printing our tickets before we took a taxi back to airport? We plan to return to airport about 2 1/2 hours before our departure time.

From the posts I have read, I estimate that it should cost roughly $40 for taxi for six people. Is that correct? Is negotiating with drivers difficult? If a driver insists on more than the standard rate, should we wait for another driver?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nassau airport

Another question I forgot to ask. Is there a separate international travel tax charge that is collected at airport when you depart that is not included in your purchased ticket? If yes, what kind of fee should I expect for six travelers? How do you pay for this fee - credit card, cash?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nassau airport

angyby.......I would make a copy of your e-ticket before you leave the states.........It usually has both to and from flights on it. We were in St. Thomas last year and didn't have a copy of our e-ticket...for some reason the computers went down for 20 mins. and it was a total MESS!! I do believe that most major airlines put the departure tax on your ticket, so I wouldn't worry about coughing up extra money at departure.As for cab fare, we have never been rippep-off in the Bahamas, but on the return trip, I would suggest on getting there early. In 0'4 the departure line (in Nassau)was all the way outside the airport(it was a weekday in July). We were there 2 1/2 hrs. prior to our flight.....Just made it!!!! Hope this helps.

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nassau airport

Angby:

Great suggestions by the poster above. The wait after you land varies. What will happen first is on the flight or before you get on the plane when you check in they will give you a Bahamas Immigration card. It is a narrow paper written in read on two sides. You have to fill that out before you walk up to Bahamas Immigration. These forms are one per person in you party. If for some reason you do not get one they are there on the right side of the wall as you enter to Bahamas Immigartion. Make sure you carry a pen to fill it out. The forms are not a big deal but they are needed. The officer will stamp it and give it back to each of you. You will need to bring it back and hand it in when you depart to your ticket agent when you check in.

If there are many people and the line is long it will take a little time to clear Immigration but they are usually pretty quick. They will ask where you are staying and how long you will stay.

After that you round a corner by the Bacardi Bar - stop and get a free sample if they are open. You will also see a Ministry of Tourism welcome area where you can get brochures and tourist information.

After you rorund the corner you will see the baggage claim area. If you will need help with your bags ask a porter (most likely they will ask if you need help first). They will get your bags for you and will also show you the way to the customs line for tourists. This line is all the way on the end near the doors out - again no big deal most times they wave you through, they may ask where you are staying again and they may ask to see the Immigration form.

You go through automatic doors and turn left. Cabs are right outside and there are plenty so no worries there. Ask them for the group rate to where you are going before you get in the cab. Taxi drivers are good in Nassau.

When you return, especially if it is on a Sunday in July, I would make sure you are there at bare minimum 2 and a half hours before. The lines can be long and you have to clear US Customs in Nassau. When you get to the airport go to a counter and ask for a blue US Customs form. You need to fill out one per family. (Don't forget to bring the Bahamas Immigration form with you too.)

The departure tax is already included in your ticket so no additional costs.

Your hotel cannot issue a boarding pass you can only do that at the airport.

As stated above take a print out of your e ticket BEFORE you leave home and keep it with you. That way you will have all flights to and from with you at all times.

Hope that helps. Have a great time in the Bahamas!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nassau airport

Thank you for all this helpful information. Is this Nassau airport similar to other airports - can you go a counter to check-in yourself and print your returning flight e-ticket, or is that even necessary if I go directly to the airline counter to check-in? Just don't want any last minute suprises or delays.

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nassau airport

Nassau does not have e ticket check-in at the airport. This is an International flight so you have to go to the ticket counter directly.

Level Contributor
405 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nassau airport

Mangrove:

You mention taxis are readily available at the airport. Do they have minivans or just sedans, as we are traveling in May - a family of five (3 adults and 2 children) and I don't think we can squeeze into a sedan with a week's worth of luggage.

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nassau airport

They have all sizes at the airport sedans, minivans, even limos. There will be help th eminute you walk through the doors to the outside.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nassau airport

If you are staying at the Atlantis you can use their free internet service in the library..If you are staying at the Comfort Inn ask them if you can use that service..You can go online for 15 minutes each day. I printed out my boarding pass the day before we left. Make sure you leave enough time when you return home from Nassau because the airport has a tough security system and you have go through everything two times..You also have to keep all your luggage with you until you are finished with security.

9. Re: Nassau airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:19