We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

qla
FL
5 posts
Save Topic
Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Hi I just came back from Atlantis! Great hotel with so many activities =) I definitely enjoy my vacation. I stayed in Royal Tower East. The room is clean and nice.

When I was there the hotel was fully booked, so it might or might not affect the room service we were getting. Our iron did not work, so we requested a replacement. And it took one hour before it is delivered to our room. Overall I can feel that people in Bahamas are VERY laid back.

Babysitter, we requested for one to take care our 18 months daughter. There is minimum of 3 hours to request the service and they charged $20/hr.

The first day we got miss Victoria who my daughter did not fond of. When she arrived in our room, I explained to her I will try to put my daughter to sleep first so when we leave she can just wait on her. Then after that, she claimed a chair and turned on TVs WHILE I was trying to put my daughter to sleep!!!! You know how TVs and lights can be distracting to curious toddler! i had to request her to turn the TVs off. When we came back to the room, we heard from outside the room our daughter's cry. We entered the room, and what I saw was not a babysitter who tried to comfort my daughter who might be awaken and surprised not to find us. She kept watching TV while sitting my toddler on her lap. Well this might be a preference for each parent but i was not happy.

The next day we requested a change for a new babysitter with these conditions: no watching TV, passionate with toddler, active and interractive well with children. Then they found me ANTONiA!! Great person! Since then I always request Antonia. My daughter adores her. She played and sang with my daughter. Change diaper, and feeding her too. And she put my daughter to sleep.

OK that is my review, hope it can help those parents who need babysitter like i did. =D

1. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2008, 17:48
sc
Level Contributor
741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

GLA

Thanks for your posting, thats one of the hardest questions to answer on this forum.

Actually I think you were pretty toleant; I would have seriously considered sending her packing as soon as she plopped herself down and turned on the TV without asking.

As parents we have to be picky about our babysitters just look at the news about that horrid woman on the latest nanny-cam scandal!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Does comfort suites have a babysitting service? or can we use the ones from Atlantis that will come over to comfort suites?

I was thinking even if they could be watched somwhere that we could see them but could at least have a meal together uninterupted.

qla
FL
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Let me clarify, Miss Victoria sat my daughter on her lap facing her (NOT THE TV) so it was not to provide distraction to my daughter. she still focused on the TV by the time I entered the room rather than comforting my crying daughter. (and I did mention in my review that it depends on the parents preference. our daughter and I are not TV lover so that is why I mentioned I dont like the fact she found a couch and turn on TV as soon as I told her that I will put her down to sleep).

Yes I agree =) the lesson I learnt: we can still NEED to be specific and detail when we requests babysitter even though we are in other country. And the fact is that the hotel staff WILL really interview the babysitter that fit the description we are looking for. Afterall we are trusting our children to someone else especially in new places/in this case other countries.

As to Comfort Suites, you may want to ask the hotel front desk if they have that service. =)

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Perhaps the TV thing is a culture difference then? Here in the UK if I was going out myself or sitting for someone else you have 3 main things as the person going out to sort out. Getting yourself ready, making sure the children are settled and then making sure that the sitter has everything she needs to be comfortable whilst she's doing you the huge favour of minding your kids so that you can go out and enjoy yourself. A big part of that is making sure she knows how the TV works. The great thing about having someone who knows you well sitting is that they know all that stuff so you just have the 2 things to worry about. So for us - arriving and going straight to sit down and put the TV on/make a drink says "You just worry about yourselves - I'm all sorted and out of your way whilst you do your last minute runarounds to get out the door". You then go and check on the children when you are no longer getting in the way of the parent's escape! We also wouldn't assume that someone wasn't trying to comfort our child because they had the TV on and weren't in full on entertainment mode. Here, sitting for a child at night whilst the child is supposed to be asleep is not considered the same deal as during the day. Unless the parent specifically tells you that they expect you to play with their child if he/she wakes up as you would if it were the middle of the day you assume they want you to keep things "low key-nothing happening here-you're not missing anything-might as well go back to sleep" so that they're refreshed for the next day. It doesn't make you think the sitter is a candidate for nanny cam if they're not playing the role of entertainer because that wouldn't be the usual expectation!

So yes - it does illustrate that it is important to be specific about what your expectations of the sitter are - especially if you're in another country where customs may be different to your own back home.

qla
FL
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

As a parent and employee, I have the right to find a candidate that fits my expectation (which I believe reasonable enough) for my daughter. And in this case, Victoria was not the right fit for us. In this review: I can only judge from my child's response to her (afterall this is about leaving my daughter with stranger) and what I experience while she was with ME during the FIRST Hour before we left and when we came back.

OK let us wrap it up. Here is MY REVIEW for the babysitting service in ATLANTIS HOTEL. Again we paid $20/hr and for minimum of 3 hours. And you can request SPECIFICALLY what you are looking for to the front desk and they will interview and try to find the closest to what you are looking for. And let the sitter know if you allow them to eat/drink from the minibar or not.

Have a good day everyone!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

creamteaBristolUK: it's not a cultural thing, it’s a parenting/personal preference thing. I'm American and I have the same perspective as you: I want he sitter to be comfortable and happy, almost more than my child. My opinion is if the sitter isn't happy, there's no way the child will be.

There are some parents who have a philosophical opposition to toddlers and TV (often the same people who think TV is bad in general). I'm not sure if any of the previous posters are among them, but they are a definite sect of parents in the U.S.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Then there is also the debate that if your in a foreign country do you WANT to let your children be in the hands of someone you have never met and dont know from Adam.

I would love a dinner/lunch out with my husband on vacation but there is the trust issue and even more so if your not even in the same country. I was reading a post on babysitting on the playa del carmen mexico site this year and a women wanted to know if there was any babysitters in town (not even at the resort) to leave her kids with while hubby and her took off a few days during the week to snorkell. Why bring kids with you if you dont want to have fun with them.

9. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2008, 17:49
qla
FL
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews on Babysitter & Room Service at Atlantis

Oh I am sorry if my statement offended some of you. But that is my view on this matter. Here I thought I was putting a review to help other parents to choose whatever they think fit because in my review I did state it "this might be a preference for each parent."

And this is not my first time finding a babysitter in a new place as I travel around the country where I visit my family and leaving my daughter with nanny at night while I am having dinner gathering with big family around my parents' house vicinity (same as I did in Atlantis, I was staying around the vicinity--conference room). She met the nanny for the first time and she did not have any problem crying so far (she got hick up when she slept that night--which she rarely does ... I can take it if she cries but not a long crying). Oh I also forgot to mention: I DID mention to the babysitter to CALL ME when my daughter wake up crying... which she did not do.

I do explain to our first babysitter in Atlantis that I did NOT allow my daughter to watch TV and I also mentioned to her WHEN I met her that she loves to play with people more than toys.

My mistake is that I did NOT explain my expectation to the front desk so that they can find person who are more align with me in taking care children.

I tried to ensure the sitter comfort too by putting my daughter to sleep first so she did not need to do anything. And I did mention to her that she can watch TV when my daughter SLEEPS (not when she wakes up). I did offer her food and drink too.

Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island