We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal plan or not to meal plan??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Meal plan or not to meal plan??

I know there have already been several posts regarding this but I have spoken to a few folks that have previously stayed at Atlantis. Both say if they were to do it again they would opt out of the meal plan. One thing they mentioned is that the meal portions are massive, enough for two people to share. Is that really the case? Are there are a lot of other option for breakfast, what if you really don’t want the breakfast buffet, and are just looking for a quick omelet or something??

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Luv

Sweets

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

No meal plan, breakfast at Murray's Deli,save money.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

muffins, donuts, fresh fruit in all the tower lobbies

Starbucks, juice bar (I can't come up with the name of it) lots of fast breakfast options

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

So is there fresh fruit and donuts for free in the lobby everyday? We are staying at the Beach Tower in Oct.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

Also do they have ice machines on each floor?? My husband is very specific about his beer, can he fill a cooler and take it to the beach?

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

No the breakfast foods are not free. Here's a well kept secret though. Coffee refills are free. Late morning they change from breakfast foods to lunch foods.

Yes you can fill a cooler and take it to the beach. We take a 36 can soft side cooler as a carry on with our bathing suits and flip flops and water bottles, a paperback and sunblock so if our villa isn't ready, we can still hit the beach. Load it up with beer, water and snacks every day and you're set.

It's also wise to carry on your toothbrush and a pair of undies. With less flights in the air and airlines cutting staff, you might find your luggage takes a different vacation more frequently than before. But that's a whole different thread.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

From what I have read I don't think anything is free.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

I think if you are on a budget and don't like to eat salad,appy,main course and dessert plus a buffet breakfast EACH DAY then maybe not. The buffets are like the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver's Sunday brunch

I always go with the gourmet plan because I'm on vacation and even though I am not as big eater ,I can eat steak and lobster every night and not even think about the price because it's already covered.

Menu prices are relatively high and if you do go for the full deal for dinner without the plan expect a bill of over $100.00 per person in the gourmet restaurants. (More like $150.00) and that is without drinks. If you stay with the hamburger and sandwich

outlets of course you can do better.

Unfortunately there are no Whitespot type places for those days when you just want something simple and cheap

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

Not so much a budget issues but we are a party of eight and everyone likes different things. Some of us just aren't breakfast people and would rather have a good lunch. I guess it is hard to please everyone. But thanks for all the YVR references. lol.

Arizona
Level Contributor
116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

Sweets, we just returned from the Atlantis and we were on the Gourmet Plan. While I understand it is not for everyone, it worked out well for us. My wife and I went with two of our children 15 and 20 and one of their cousins, 19. Because we were on vacation, eating out is a treat. The Marketplace Buffet was open until Noon, so there was no rush to eat and eating that late we were able to skip a regular lunch and wait until dinner. We ate at Bimini Road, Cafe at the Great Hall of Waters, Chop Stix, Cafe D'Angelo, Bahamanian Club and on the first night since we arrived late, Atlas. Even without everyone getting appetizers, the meal plan was well worth it, given the price of the meals range from 35 to 65 dollers by themselves. We enjoy good food so it was a treat being able to choose between filet mignon and lobster every night. For us it was worth it because we did not want to eat in. It is a personal choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal plan or not to meal plan??

ok so if we do want to go for the meal plan can we arrange this at check in or is this something that needs to be taken care of before we arrive. Also what sort of variety do they have at the breakfast buffet, do they have some options that might please our lunch lovers?? I am only asking because when you do the lunch buffet in Las Vegas in places like Wynn they still offer some non breakfast items.