We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

It looks like Comfort Suites is about $100 cheaper per night than a basic room at Atlantis. But if you don't stay at Atlantis, you can't purchase the dining packages.

If I want to eat at some Atlantis restaurants (including some of the nicer ones), would my savings by staying at Comfort Suites be negated by not being able to purchase the Atlantis dining package?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

skip the dining package. just eat and pay as you go for dining. it's not really that great of a deal.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

The posts above, in addition to being in disagreement, don't answer my question.

I can save about $100/day by booking at Comfort Suites, but I can't buy the Atlantis dining package. We get a continental breakfast at Comfort Suites, but we want to eat at some fun places at Atlantis. Does the $89.00 dining package save enough money on a daily basis to offset my room savings?

If it is even close, I suppose I'll just stay at Atlantis.

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

bmirak,

We stayed at CS too. It really depends on what you like to eat and whether it is worht to spend that kind of money to get so so food. There is such a mix bag on the reviews for the restaurants that are on Atlantis property. Keep searching to get an idea of which ones you may want to try. We loved the breakfast buffet at the Water's Edge and thought it was worth it even at 20pp. The food was freshly prepared and had a lot of variety omelets, waffles made to order, fresh fruit. We tried a dinner at the Sea Grapes buffet and at almost 100. for 2 adults and one child it wasn't worth it. We ordered pizza from Dominoes and it was great with fast delivery. We walked across the bridge to Outback one evening and the food and service was great there. We went into town via the water taxi and had lunch at the Hard Rock which was good. Not using the dining plan allowed us to venture out and explore. Ask the locals for recommendation on places for real carribean dining. We also went to the fish fry and had some really good seafood at Twin Brothers.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

Did you notice the username of that previous poster...s/he's an instigator with nothing to offer but interrupting the conversations on this board. There have been quite a few posters like that on this board recently, so beware of where a comment comes form....and do not respond to the comments in any way...that just encourages the behavior.

To your question: The meal plan does not save much money...it might even be more expensive than ala carte. They raised the prices mid-year when they realized the priced they put out when the re-introduced the plans offer a SLIGHT discount.

Staying at the CS....there's almost no way to make the meal plan even break even for you, unless you want to forego the free breakfast and choose to eat at Atlantis.

The situation I'd advise changing to Atlantis is if you have a stick-in-the-mud in your group. I have an in-law that would throw a fit every time he saw Atlantis' sticker prices for food. A meal plan in that case makes some sense because the meal is pretty much pre-paid and that person won't ruin the experience for everyone else.

Here's an analysis I did a few months ago when they raised the prices:

Lets start with the casual plan: breakfast at the marketplace is $21.50 and dinner is $45, for a total of $61.50. The casual plan is priced at $59 per day, saving $2.50.

On the gourmet dining plan, Breakfast at the marketplace is $21.50. For the sake of this example, I'll use dinner prices at the Bahamian Club. A shrimp cocktail is $20.50. A NY strip is $47. I'll assume a $8 dessert. All in that totals $97. The gourmet plan is priced at $89 per day, saving $8.

I keep getting errors when I try to pull up individual menus, so I'm not sure how accurate my prices are. Has anybody that's been on site noticed if menu prices were raised when they raised the meal plan prices?

But anyway, the plans are not a value anymore, but look like might be an even trade. Which I think is worth it if you want to enjoy yourself on vacation and not have sticker shock at meals.

As always, if you don't take go to the places you meal plan steers you toward, you're not making a good value of the plans....and you give up flexibility for not that much of a discount.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

How's the breakfast at Comfort Suites?

The Atlantis dining packages don't include lunch, but I bet the breakfast spread is good enough that it would be easy to make a lunch from that.

Could the same be done at Comfort? I know it's probably frowned on, but we're pretty shamelss when trying to save some money on vacation. Doing lunch at resort prices really adds up!

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

The Comfort Suite breakfast was filing enough bagels, toast, frozen waffles, juice, muffins, oatmeal, coffee, donuts and fruit. I took a jar of peanut butter/jelly with me and took bread from the breakfast to make sandwiches later. I packed baggies to store things in. We also filled our refillable mugs from the buffet. No one seemed to notice or care. I would think you could do the same at the Atlantis buffet as long as you are discreet.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

Disclaimer: The poster/post above that I was referring to has been removed....so my comment about an instigator is now moot.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Sounds like it will be substantially cheaper to stay at Comfort Suites and just pay as you go for meals. Plus, we won't have to take every meal at the Atlantis to get our money's worth.

Comfort Suites says that its guests have "full use of Atlantis's exclusive facilities." Is this true? Would we be treated just like any other Beach Tower guest?

Also, the Atlantis complex looks huge. How long the walk from Comfort Suites to features such as the water park?

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

bmirak,

You have full use and no one treated us any different. All of the staff were nice and courteous, despite the fact that you are wearing colored arm bands which they can tell you are staying at CS. It is about a 10 min walk from CS to Atlantis facilities. There is a side door that you exit through CS that is a short cut rather than walk out the front and all the way around. It is an enjoyable walk as you pass by pretty flowers on the Atlantis property and through the lobby of the building.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantis, Comfort Suites, and Food

Oh geez...I thought you all were talking about me! I knew my post was short, but I thought it was fairly clear and I don't (try to anyway) instigate anything!