We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nassau Airport Customs

East Coast
13 posts
Save Topic
Nassau Airport Customs

I've read it can take 3 hrs clearing customs when leaving Nassau. I'm told this is partly due to US citizens being able to clear customs so planes can land in non-custom airports in the US. Do Canadians line up also or is it quicker for us.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

If you are flying into the US you do your customs in the Bahamas, so when you get to your destination you do not have to go through customs. Depending on the day and time it can take up to 3 hours.

We went through quite quickly, roughly an hour. When we got to Buffalo we just walked out of the terminal, and when we got to the Canadian border customs booth they asked us where we had been and we told them Bahamas and they just waved us cross the border.

Canadians leaving the Bahamas, assuming they have a direct flight to Canada, go through customs at their destination.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
405 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

Interesting, I had no idea about this so I'm so glad you asked. I'm used t clearing customs upon our return in the US airports.

So how early do people usually leave for the airport? We will be leaving from Harborside... is 4 hours enough or should we plan to leave before that even?

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

Just in case it is a busy day you should go 2 1/2 to 3 hours before your flight leaves. Any longer you would be bored waiting for the plane.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
405 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

regkit, I'm confused... you said it can take 3 hours to get through customs, but to leave for the airport 2.5-3 hours before your flight...

With a 3 hour wait at customs wouldn't you need 3 hours plus? Or is the 3 hour wait very rare?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

I think regkit meant to say be at the airport 2 1/2

to 3 hrs. before your departure. I always arrive

about 2 1/2 hrs. before my departure. That means

allow at least 1/2hr. travel to the airport from P.I.

plus the 2 1/2 hrs there. I never waited that long

to go thru everything. Last visit in November

was pretty quick. About 30 minutes. I always

leave on a Saturday around noon. Other days

may be busier. the planes don't wait for

you if you don't get thru everything on time.

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

If you take a shuttle or limo they usually pick you up three hours in advance.

Sometimes you breeze through security but other times a long wait. Better to be safe and allow the time. Eat before you leave the hotel as bare bones as far as food and comfort at the international terminal. If your flight is delayed for any reason you will be glad if you prepared for that possibility.

Alberta
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

Fireman, if you are flying direct to a Canadian airport, you do not need nearly as much time as the us. We left our hotel 2 1/2hours before our flight, and we had too much time. There is nothing past security for canadian departures but a small bar and duty free.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

As per your question:

"Do Canadians line up also or is it quicker for us."

Agree with the last poster, 2.5 hours in advance in way too much time if you are flying direct to Canada. Canadians flying direct to Canda do not have customs pre-clearence and clear customs only when they arrive in Canada. I have done this over a dozen times and I never needed to arrive at the airport more than an hour before flight. As said there is practically nothing at the airport in terms of food, shops, etc. (though there has been a marginal improvement in recent year).

9. Re: Nassau Airport Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 05:16