We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Problems

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Problems

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on at the Riu? Seems ALL recent reviews contain horror stories about no air conditioning (property-wide), overbooking and complete lack of service. I know this place has always had hit and miss reviews but the recent ones seem to be all negative. Any insight appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Problems

I too am quite curious...we are getting married there in November!

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Problems

This time of year it is so hot and humid all the hotels are getting rotten reviews just because it is hard to keep the weather uncontrol. Only mother earth can do that so don't sweat the small stuff !! You will enjoy it anyway.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Problems

I appreciate your optimistic response but it is off-topic relative to what I asked. I live in Texas and I know hot/humid. Having working A/C is something I expect at any decent hotel/resort and the lack thereof is something that would make me consider choosing a different place to stay. During the day I expect to be hot and I have the ocean and a pool to cool me off. At night when I sleep I don't expect to sweat. ;-))

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Problems

Just came back from the Riu so here's my take. The buffet is hit and miss, depending when you get there. The specialty restaurants are great, the food and service is top notch. However the air conditioning is craps. The entire week I was there they kept saying they were working on it. The room I was in looked worn, scuff marks on the walls. As well I was on the 9th floor and the music coming from the pool area so loud at that height. They seem to think that people have a hearing problem and turn the music up. Then you have people drinking and smoking in the pool. You actually find plastic cups in the pool. The entertainment there is mediocre. Do yourself a favour, stay elsewhere

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Problems

Yes, I'm reading them wih a growing sense of dread too. Mojo - we are geting married there in a couple of weeks - i'll keep you posted!

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Problems

For what it is worth, on the A/C, I have been told by the hotel (direct call to them) and via an email response that "The system was working at a reduced capacity. As of today the problems have been resolved and the air is working at 100%.". We shall see....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Problems

It simply took them too long to fix the problem and when some men asked if they still had to wear long pants to the restaurants they were told there were no exceptions

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Problems

Im so glad that Im reading this. I'll be staying at the Riu from Aug 4th to the 9th, and the recent reviews about the air had me scared about my stay there. So reading this post about the air being fixed really makes me feel better!!! Whew! Thanks

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Problems

Me too! Great that you called them jraulbach, feeling much better now. We go 15th August, and get married there on the 19th, so will be interested to hear how you get on peoplechange...not long til you go now!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Problems

Yes we have 5 days...Im so excited and hopefully we dont have to experience all the negative things posted in the reviews. We're gonna make the best of this trip regardless though. DeenGee.....congrats on your wedding....and I will definitely post how my trip was...down to every little detail!!! lol