We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

oklahoma
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Well, we have been trying to decide where to take the kids and I finally booked it yesterday. I am so excited. We have never been to the bahamas. Need all the tips I can get.

Booked a water view at Beach Towers, 5 nights, dining plan, and we have two boys 9 and 11. I did not get the transportation. Should I? And when we are there will we need transportation for anything else. We have been to Cancun before and just used the buses, but what about here? Or do most people just stay on the resort? Also I have heard it is really expensive. Is there a way to get a taxi and stop on the way to the resort for waters and snacks for the room?

Any other advice we need. We go June 2 so have 3 months now to plan. Did I say I am excited?!!!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

For transport from the airport just go outside the terminal and get into the next available taxi. All fares are regulated and standard. For four to Atlantis the fare one way is $38 plus $1 for the toll bridge and a good tip. While on Paradise Island everything is close by and you just walk. There are courtesy shuttles between the various towers. No need to stay on resort. Explore, walk around Paradise Island. Take a water taxi for $3pp each way to downtown Nassau.

Your taxi will stop along the way at a supermarket for a charge of $10-20.

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

If you are only there 5 days you may be content staying at the resort. My first visit a decade ago I didn't want to leave the resort. I did but couldn't wait to get back. Nice to see ,other areas other than Atlantis but 5 days goes very quickly. Your kids are not going to want to leave to go sightseeing when they have Aquaventure.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

I remember you from the Orlando forum ! :)

You will enjoy your trip. I have mixed feelings about the dining plan. It seemed so expensive to us, and we ate a lot of meals elsewhere so it was cheaper. My kids were teens though, so counted as adults, so higher package price. I hear the buffets are good, and would be so convenient. We ALWAYS do the meal plan at Disney, just to compare)

Tips: Pick up the copy of the Atlantean. It is a newsletter/schedule for a couple of days at a time. It gives all the activities planned, location, & times. For example, free crafts at the beach palace, bingo, games by the pool, stingray feeding times, what the movies are & their times, themes at the kids club, etc. It is an invaluable piece of information !

Straw Market: Walk about a couple of blocks to the ferry terminal. It's $3 per person to take the ferry to the straw market area. They have cheap tshirts, jewelry, knock off Coach & prada purses (I wonder however if my Coach is a knock off....), Oakley sunglasses, lots of souvinier stuff. The little stores next door have nice things to take back home....decks of Bahamas cards, etc. This is where you barter over prices. They're building a new one, not sure if it is done. It's been outside in tents and is very hot in the afternoon. This is a good morning activity. The new one is down the street, inside and is suppose to be air conditioned.

Pirate Musuem is a little cheesy, but fun anyway. A guy pretending to be a pirate greets everyone. Adults are $12, kids are $6. You wander through on your own and there's a little gift shop with treasure, pirate maps, etc It's only a block or so away from the straw market. Big red building.

Take the time one day to just walk around and see all the habitats. They are tucked away everywhere. Definitely see the predator lagoon & rope bridge.

When our daughter was smaller, we packed a bucket & shovel to use on the beach. When we came home, we gave it to some other kids on the beach to use while they were there. (Freed up space in our suitcase too)

Our daughter bought a boogie board at the shop across from Carmine's at the Marina Village. She used it all week and then carried it on the airplane home. It laid flat in the overhead bin. Last summer, she took the same board back & they put it up front in a closet area. I think it was $30. She's taking it to Destin this summer too. Pretty good for 3 summer uses.

Don't miss the Junkanoo parade at the Marina Village. It is at 9:00 or 9:30. They are in lavish junkanoo costumes & loud caribbean music. I've never seen anything like it. Get a drink or some ice cream at Ben & Jerry's and find a seat. You'll hear it coming, it'll make it's way to you and lasts quite awhile. Good photo op.

The slides & current are not as busy right when they open at 10:00. Some of the slides had no wait. (We go July 4th week, so pretty busy usually)

The air conditioning in the movie theater is cold. Bring a light sweater/jacket. The snacks are room charge only and priced the same as our movie theater at home.

They have a Build A Bear kind of place with Atlantis tshirts for the critters in the Beach Tower, just down from Club Rush (Crush now) and that lobby.

If you plan for the kids to go to the Kids Club in the evening, they have to be picked up by 10:00 pm. and you'll need a copy of their passport the first visit. (Or the passport itself) My daughter went once and liked it.

Sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen. :)

Send me a message if you have specific questions, or I'll answer here.

Have fun !

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Is the Junkanoo parade in the morning or evening? Am I correct in thinking that the Marina Village is open to everyone (not just Atlantis guests) therefore this parade could be viewed by all? Thanks for any tips & info.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,997 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

OKgal we're going for the first time also on June 2 (no kids with us though). I'm curious about the parade also? Checkers - good info. Can you tell us the restaurants you had dinner? thanks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Last May when I was there the Junkanoo parade in the Marina Village was on a Wed. evening around 9PM. Yes, the M.V. is open to everyone. The parade was very colorful and noisy. Bring your camera and take videos.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

When we go in July, the parade is always on Friday night, but then offered sometimes also on Saturday and during the week. Check the Atlantean, or ask someone (a worker) at the marina village. Yes - evening, after it gets dark. They have 'streetlights' all around there at night, neat atmosphere.

Yes - free to everyone, it's a shopping area. Another neat thing to do is walk around the yachts docked right next to it. Some of them are huge !

When you first pull up Paradise Island here on TA .......the picture that comes up at the top is colored buildings. That's the Marina Village.

Restaurants:

Carmines: It is Italian & in the Marina Village. It's just like the one in New York. It is served family style so you fix your own plate. If you order chicken parmesan, for example, for $40 and a Carmine Salad (very good) for $28, and split it, then dinner was $68 plus your drinks. Chicken Parm served about 3, salad was huge. We usually order ravioli too. (18 yr old son is a big eater)

Dominoes Pizza delivers. The front desk has the phone number of the one that delivers to that area. We had 2 pizzas, I think, and it was $30 or less. They had specials too.

Anthony's : Across the street in the Paradise Shopping Center by the Comfort Suites, on the corner. The first time we ate there, it was wonderful, last time, not as good. Med. $$ Our son orders calamari & quesadillas off the appetizer menu for his meal.

Hard Rock Cafe: At the straw market area. Take the water ferry for $3 each during the day, or a taxi at night. We usually ate lunch or a really early dinner so we could use the ferry. (Take the ferry over, taxi back, etc) It was one of our best & cheapest. We all had adult entrees (4 of us), drinks, and a huge $20 appetizer, with a drink in a souvinier glass and our total was about $90 I liked the fajitas.

Poop Deck: Across the bridge on the left. We walked once - took the bridge on the right which veers away. Took forever , it was hot, pop up rain shower. Last time, we took a taxi. They're a little pricey, but very good seafood. Mostly outdoor seating on the marina where they park the fishing boats & you can watch them go through the channel. They do have plastic lawn chairs at the tables. A little odd, I thought, but fine.

Murray's Delli is in the Marina Village, just after you come out of the Atlantis toward that end. They had lots of delli style food - club sandwhiches, patty melts, and lots more. The sandwhiches are HUGE. You can split them. They come with fries, etc. The onion rings are good - powdered with parmesan. I think they had breakfast things here too, but we didn't try them.

The Cave Grill by the beach and beach towers had good lunch deals. Family meal deal was 4 burgers, 2 fries, & 4 drinks for $25. They also had Super Nachos that could easily be shared by two. Shark Bites also had meal deals and kids meals.

My husband got a grilled-in-front-of-you burger next to one of the pools one day. I think it was $8 - we didn't do that again. The little 'stands' around the pool areas have ziplock bags of fresh fruit. Wonderful pineapple - best I've ever had. It's cleaned & sliced into spears. I think it was $6 a bag, but we shared.

Breakfast: When we stayed at Comfort Suites, we ate there, it was free. Last summer, at Harborside, I brought breakfast stuff. We had the full kitchen, but I refuse to cook/clean while on vacation. :) I brought granola bars, cereal bars, and Hormel precooked bacon. We stopped at the City Market and bought water, Pepsi, bananas & mango, and big banana nut muffins (they were good!). All seemed the same $ or just slightly higher than our grocery store at home.

I also brought pringles, fruit snacks, trail mix packages, and the crackers with peanut butter between them to have in the beach bag for a snack.

Since we ate breakfast IN, had something quick for lunch or just grabbed a snack, we ate a nice dinner each night. With 4 (2 teens, so technically all adults) our budget for dinner was around $130. Sometimes we spent less and sometimes it ran over a little, so all balanced out. Sometimes we had appetizers or dessert. We could have done more quick food, or shared more to make it cheaper, but were hungry once dinner came around. I also figured if we weren't really spending much on the other meals, then we could do so on dinner.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Forgot to mention.......I brought a box of capri sun for the kids to have with breakfast. I wrapped the box in a plastic grocery sack & taped it. I put that inside a giant ziplock. If it leaked that way, it wouldn't get all over anything or run out of the bag. I taped a note to the top saying it was Capri Sun juice bags so if they searched it, they'd know what it was without tearing it open.

It didn't leak and made the trip fine. - CHECKED luggage, of course. :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,997 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Thanks for the info checkers! Will definitely check out the parade tigervette, thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BOOKED IT!!! First time and so excited. Need tips!

Thanks for the info, checkers! I'm also arriving on June 2 but with a few of my girlfriends and staying at Beach tower.

Have fun everyone!