We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned - Trip Summary

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned - Trip Summary

We just got back from our Harborside/Atlantis visit.

If anyone has questions, I’ll try my best to answer.

I want to give a special shout out to Godfrey Sims, our taxi driver http://www.taxi516.com because he was tightly booked and was unable to stop at a grocery store on our way from the airport to Harborside. When he dropped us off, he told us to go ahead and check in and get settled and he would come back to take us to the store after he did his next airport pick up. Sure enough, he was back an hour later, took us to the store waited and brought us back, for no additional cost.

We stayed in building 5 at Harborside room 1762 which was nice with no stairs to climb plus it’s close to the pool and not far from the front entrance. The view was of the Paradise Island “inbound” bridge and the ferry terminal. Not the best view but that’s not a big deal for us.

We took the 5 hour trip on the Flying Cloud on Sunday http://www.flyingcloud.info Had a real nice time. Spent time snorkeling over a shallow reef then was served lunch and had beach time on Rose Island with all the Bahama Mama drinks we could handle. That trip is a nice way to start the week.

Went downtown. The new straw market building is progressing nicely. Should be done on time, Sept I think. The Parliament building was dressed up very nice in the Bahamian flag colors in recognition of 38 years of independence.

For those with kids, Club Rush is $25 per kid (9-13) per night. Crush is $25 per kid (13-17) per night. On the first night, you have to have photo ID (passport) that shows birth date. Also, make sure you are clear with your kids as to what they can spend with a room key. They had the Miss Teen USA Pageant while we were there and my older son got to meet the new Miss Teen USA at Crush. He was pretty excited.

We spent time at various pools and beaches during the week. The easiest place to find seats was at the Baths Pool and the Cove Beach which are adjacent to each other. We also “camped out at the Royal Baths pool and the Atlantis/Cabbage Beach. Seats were harder to find at those two but we did find seats at mid-day.

Kalik beers were selling for $7.19 per beer at the Atlantis bars. We’d brought our own beer from home. Plus, you can buy a case of beer at the little store next to Anthony’s Grill for $65 which amounts to $2.70 per can instead of $7.19 at the bars.

At the airport, the new US Departures Terminal is a HUGE improvement over the old terminal. Upon arriving in Nassau, you have to walk from the new terminal through the old terminal to the existing customs area to wait in line before going to pick up your luggage. The walk isn’t too long though and it’s all indoors. When leaving Nassau, that’s when you go directly to the new terminal entrance which is a lot more open and less congested than the old terminal entrance. The airline check-in area is open and spread out as well. To give a sense of the time that’s needed, we left Harborside at 10:30am. We were at the airport, checked-in, through security, through US Customs, and in the gate areas at 12:05pm.

I hope this info helps. Again, if you have any questions, fire away…..

Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

Nice report and thank you for sharing.

I am wondering what is the price difference for drinks and water (large bottles) between the grocery store near Anthony's and the store on the way from Airport to PI? I am thinking if it not a big difference maybe we should just get our water from the store near Atlantis.

Is it really necessary to book a taxi ahead? Aren't there plenty of cabs outside airport?

Thanks very much!

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

I can't speak to the water prices between the two because we didn't buy water. As far as taxis, when you arrive at the airport, you can have them hail the next available taxi with no problem. We reserved ahead of time with Godfrey in 2006 (our 1st visit) not knowing the taxi situation at the airport. It was nice having Godfrey standing at the airport exit holding a sign with our name and ready to take our stiff and go. We've developed a friendship with Godfrey and have brought him our business every year every since. He's given us plenty of special hints about the Islands and it's a nice personal touch having a familar face waiting for you when you arrive.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

Thanks for the report

Do you mind sharing the rate with a stop from the airport to Atlantis. Do we set this price beforehand?

We are going to order snacks and water from one of the delivery sites but we want to stop for beer, wine and liquor.

I have 14 year old twins that are excited about going to Crush....they would be so dissappointed that they missed the Miss Teen contest that I will not even mention it. Is anything included with the $25 or is that just to get in? Do I need to make reservations? Any other teen tips would be welcome. We are bringing our walkie talkies

Thanks again

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

The official Government regulated taxi fare for two from the Airport to Paradise Island is $32 plus $1 for the toll bridge and a tip. Your taxi driver should not charge you any more than this rate. Each additional person is $3. A grocery, etc. stop is $15-20. Just get into the next available taxi in a long line outside the terminal. Here is a link to the official taxi fares:

bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Nassau_Taxi_Fa…

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

Tigervette is right about the taxi fares except that the bridge toll is $2 as of this past week. Toll is $2 into Paradise Island. No toll leaving Paradise Island.

For Crush and Club Rush, the $25 is for admission. any food/drinks are extra. No reservations are needed.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

Thanks for the excellent review. Very informative! I've heard others mention the Baths pool being a good place to set up camp so we plan to give that a try in August. How were the crowds/lines in Aquaventure? Did the resort feel at capacity or is Atlantis feeling the effects of the economy?

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

It seemed a little less crowded than last year but not by much. As expected, the lines were quick in the morning and built up as the day progressed.

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

Oops. One more thing about the airport. The WiFi in the US departures terminal is FREE. Very handy.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

I am at Harborside now. There were 5 cruise ships in port- Atlantis was very crowded Tuesday. I will try to remember to check the price of water, assuming we get over to the grocery store this week. We paid $14.99 for 32 bottles of Acquafina (500 ml) from foodstore2go.

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned - Trip Summary

The cruise ship trafic will be much less for the remainder of the week.