We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish

NJ
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
jellyfish

we go to atlantis every year but only once in August - has anyone been there in the last couple weeks...if so, were there many jellyfish? When i was there in August, you couldn't even walk by the water without being stung

thanks

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jellyfish

Jellyfish tend to be prevalent in the summer months. It seems to be a regular occurence every year there. In May and November when I visit I've never seen one ever.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jellyfish

There were sea lice around 3 weeks ago off the beaches on the western end of the island. Not sure of any reports from Atlantis. These often don't start stinging until you get out of the water then notice the area covered by a bathing suit start to itch. I went swimming again yesterday and didn't see anything. Perhaps some recent Atlantis visitors can comment better.

Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jellyfish

We did not see any jellyfish last week. There were signs warning people about the jellyfish season. I did hear a young girl saying there was jellyfish when we were snorkeling in the paradise lagoon near the bridge. I don't know it was true or not.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jellyfish

No jellyfish the last week in July- we came home on 07/31.

NJ
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: jellyfish

Thanks everyone :) - leave tomorrow - can't wait

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jellyfish

We go July 4th week and do not see jellyfish at the beach. The lagoon at Atlantis usually has them, our son was stung on the elbow snorkeling there.

I do know that late summer is their 'season'. Hope there aren't any for your sake. We went to Gulf Shores last month, and the jellyfish kept us out of the water. Very disappointing for a beach vacation. We probably won't go again for that exact reason.

What are sea lice ? What do they look like ? What are the jellyfish that are just 'bells' with no tentacles ? They're clear or clear with orange stripes ?

7. Re: jellyfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:20