We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

complimentary upgrade

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
complimentary upgrade

hello all,

I am traveling to Atlantis next week (pritodents week) with my wife and 2 boys ages 9 and 6. We were at Atlantis 2 years ago and were reserved for a Beach tower room. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to the Coral Towers. It seems that they closed the Beach tower and combined all of the guest at the other towers.

Does anyone know if the Beach Tower is open now> Also, has anyone received any complimentary upgrades to a water view room. I was thinking about putting a $50 bill on the counter upon check in and asking for a waterview room> I do want want to insult the staff but thought I would give this a try> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: complimentary upgrade

to clarrify, you are asking if it is considered rude to try to bribe someone?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: complimentary upgrade

Why not just politely ask if there are any waterview rooms available? If you are given one, then great. Or if you are offered a waterview at a slightly higher rate, then you can make the decision if it is worth it to you. Putting money on the table and bribing someone is just plain crude and insulting. I've worked front desk before in another lifetime to help with college tuition, and I had someone try that with me. I didn't accept his money, and put him in the nastiest room we had.

You are traveling at a busy time, but it does not hurt to ask. Most front desk staff will try to accommodate you as best they can if you approch them with a smile and respect.

New England
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: complimentary upgrade

Save the $50.00 for the slots. The front desk folks have very little control over upgrades. There's been a crackdown ever since the bellboys and front desk clerks had a scam going...Guests were approached by bellhops upon arrival and offered upgraded rooms for $300.00 cash and then alert the front desk person (who would split the cash) to give the guest an upgrade. We actually thought this was quite a good scam.... We bring a box of candy and politely inquire about a waterview. The waterviews in the Coral are ok if you get a room that does not overlook the roof of the property....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: complimentary upgrade

I've gotten an upgrade once without asking. They'll do it for you if there is very low occupancy at check-in. The bribe is a wasted effort and definitely tacky.

Fort Wright...
Level Contributor
393 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: complimentary upgrade

We just returned and were given a complimentary upgrade in Royal Towers to ocean view - given we were there for a conference I was pleasantly surprised.

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: complimentary upgrade

I'm surprised to read the front desk would consider this rude as it has become a standard practice when checking into a hotel in Vegas, often referred to as the "$20 trick". Yesterday we booked the Beach Tower at Atlantis to attend the Kenny Chesney concert in May, and booked very spur of the moment. I've since been reading reviews that have me concerned we should have booked Royal Tower and I'd been thinking of doing the "tip at counter" request as well. Guess what flies in Vegas won't on Paradise Island so I'll just ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available but with the concert that weekend, my chances will likely be pretty slim.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: complimentary upgrade

Glad to hear, stluciao6! And you saved $50.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: complimentary upgrade

We were there this past Nov. at the Beach Tower and asked for an ocean view upon check in and got it. No brides needed. :)

9. Re: complimentary upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island