We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Weather

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Weather

Just looked at the forecast for when we will be there next week. It isn't so great. It says 60% of rain every day we're there. I know this could change because it's a week away, and I also know it could mean just typical afternoon thunderstorms like we have here in Florida, but I still would like to get some ideas of things we could do if the weather sucks for a whole day or more. We are a family of 6. Two parents, a 17 year old, two 14 year olds, and an 11 year old. Any ideas that the kids may enjoy?

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Weather

I'm right with you! If I saw your post, I wouldn't have posted the same question. We'll be flying in on Thursday and staying til Monday. Hopefully it wont rain all the days that we'll be there.

If you're staying at Atlantis, they have some kids programs that you can look into to keep them occupied. There is also a movie theatre and the aquarium they can visit. Check out the main website for Atlantis.

Hope it works out for all of us!

Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Weather

Believe me, we have been going to Atlantis for 12 years and even 60% chance of rain is nothing to worry about. We are leaving tomorrow and are so excited as always. The rain comes and then goes. Dont worry, be happy! The rain hardly ever sticks around!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Weather

Although others here say rain is hard

to predict, from a climate standpoint,

June is in the rainy season in the

Bahamas. This season runs from

around May 22 thru the end of October.

The humidity is very high during this

time. With all that moisture there is

a good chance of a daily downpour

lasting from minutes to hours

somewhere on the island you are on.

In addition, tropical storms during the

hurricane season from June thru

November bring more rain. Average

rainfall in the Bahamas in June is

over 9 inches, making June the

wettest month in the Bahamas.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 23:01
Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Weather

thanks for the happy news. We have been going there for 12 years and have had good experiences with the weather. Although rain is unpredictable as far as length..there are many other activities to partake in. thanks

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Weather

Thank you guys for the replies. I am aware of the summer weather patterns (including tropical storms and hurricanes LOL) as I grew up in Florida and have lived here my whole life. The weather in the Bahamas is not much different than it is here. Still noone has answered my question. What kind of activities are there to do in Nassau if rains all day? I just want to have a back up plan for the kids. We are staying at Atlantis, and I know there are some things to do there if it rains. I would just like to get other ideas for rainy day activities off the property. Thanks in advance for all your help. I really do appreciate it. :O)

Karen.......we arrive on Wednesday and leave on Sunday so we will be there at the same time. :O)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Weather

KarenD answered. There is a movie theater, game room, spa, take a taxi into Straw Market for shopping, or walk the aquariums in Royal Towers. Take a deck of cards and send them to the lobby! The rain won't last long. There is also a teen night club for the older kids.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Weather

Thank you Hazel. The Straw Market is an interesting idea. Yes KarenD was the only person who answered the question, and I should have been more specific in my original post. I know about all the things to do at Atlantis. I was looking for things to do off the resort encase of a day where it rains all day. Thanks for the Straw Market idea. I appreciate it. :O)

NJ
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Weather

Senor Frog's is always fun if there are crusie ships in port. The crowd is lively; they play trivia games and have a DJ. The teenagers should be okay with it, but it might be a bit too much for the 11 year old. There is a Pirate Museum as well...not sure just how entertaining it would be.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Weather

Thank you Mary. We just returned from Atlantis yesterday, and the weather turned out good. It was overcast most the time we were there, but that was okay. The kids had a great time! :O)

NJ
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Weather

Glad you enjoyed good weather! :)