We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Does anybody know what the weather is truely like in Nassau? I'll be going to Atlantis next week, June 21-25, and the chance of rain is 60%. I heard rain just comes and goes in the Bahamas and I could still have a chance to enjoy some sun. Please help!

Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

We have been going to Atlantis for 12 years now and are leaving tomorrow for a week. The rain comes and then goes. Do not worry about the forecast. It often says 60% chance of rain.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

@hollyhock40--thanks for replying & I sure do hope we will all have great weather next week!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Don't put any faith into a weather forecast for seven or more days. There are just too many variables that affect our weather. Yes, it's rainy season. And it started early and with above average rainfall. But we haven't seen a drop in several days. Of course with no rain or cloud cover, the heat is on. Last few days low to mid 90's, with the heat index well over 100 degrees. That's just the way it is this time of year...days in a row with sometimes heavy rain and storms, and days in a row without a drop (or cloud) to be seen. I'm sure anyone here right now is loving the weather, but I'm not looking forward to the electric bill next month.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,575 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Although others here say rain is hard

to predict, from a climate standpoint,

June is in the rainy season in the

Bahamas. This season runs from

around May 22 thru the end of October.

The humidity is very high during this

time. With all that moisture there is

a good chance of a daily downpour

lasting from minutes to hours

somewhere on the island you are on.

In addition, tropical storms during the

hurricane season from June thru

November bring more rain. Average

rainfall in the Bahamas in June is

over 9 inches, making June the

wettest month in the Bahamas.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Wow ! Karen , 60% rain = 40% no rain = Sunshine .

Is the glass half full or half empty .?. Just go and enjoy , at least it's warm rain . LOL

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

I don't let those forecasts bother me unless they are calling for a hurricane. You really can't predict that far in advance. They sometimes go by years past and what the weather was like in that month or week or even day.

Yes June is the rainy season, but if it rains now and again no big deal. If it should happen to rain most of a day or so, there are plenty of things to do. Hey you can still swim without lightning, or shop or just eat and drink.

We leave tomorrow and I'm looking foroward to it, rain or shine.

virginia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

There is always a 60% chance of rain in Nassau/Paradise Island. Being sub-tropical, it can rain on one(1) side of the street, and not the other side. I've found that most thunder storms/rain events happen over night while you are sleeping.

Beavercreek, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Just got back from Paradise Island, they called for rain every day but it never rained in the 7 days we were there. We only had one morning where it was cloudy but the sun broke through at noon.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Nooooo! Don't cancel. The 60% is probably a shower that will pass and then the sun will shine. We went off shore fishing last week and found out there was rain on the island while we were out. We never even saw a cloud!

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 60% chance of rain in the forecast. Should I cancel the trip

Thanks everyone for your input. I will keep my fingers crossed that the weather will clear up for our trip! :-)

Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island
Recent Conversations