We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategy for days with five cruise ships

MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Strategy for days with five cruise ships

I found that, during the week we'll be in Atlantis, most days only have one or two cruise ships. But two or three days have FIVE cruise ships. I imagine it becomes unbearably crowded and I'm looking for tips from people who've been there.

Should we go down early (what time?) to get our wristbands? When do the water slides start to get crowded and when do the cruisers start to leave? I'm thinking maybe we should hit Aquaventure as soon as it opens and then just relax by a pool for the super busy part of the day, and then head back in the late afternoon. Does that sound good?

We're also planning on visiting Blue Lagoon for the Dolphin Encounter one day. Would a day when five cruise ships are in be a good day to do that? On the one side, we'd get away from the chaos at Atlantis. But Blue Lagoon would probably also be packed when five ships are in. I don't know which is worse.

Thanks SO MUCH for any advice! We're first timers. :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,916 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strategy for days with five cruise ships

Disney - I bumped up a recent post about cruise ships for you. Take a look at it.

Hope it helps :)

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strategy for days with five cruise ships

I'll answer what I can ...

On the days the cruise ships are in port, it's best to get your wristbands early, then find a pool or beach... they start to leave around 3pm .. depending on the time of year.. the waterslides stay open until 4:30 in the winter.. 6:30/7 in the summer.. and somewhere in between in the off season.

As for Blue Lagoon, it's a great way to spend a day away from the crowds at Atlantis, but 5 cruise ships in port means that BL will also be crowded.. although they do have a limit to the number of people allowed on the island each day.

Book Blue Lagoon Dolphins well in advance. They sell out months in advance.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
243 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strategy for days with five cruise ships

Scubagirrl,

Do you think it would be worth going to Blue Lagoon just for the beach pass to snorkel and relax? I read a post from someone stating that they went there for the day for a minimal fee just for the beach and had a really great time. Or are we best to just use Atlantis' beach which is free. We have no desire to swim with dolphin, at least not for the cost of the event...very expensive. But if the crowds are insane, maybe Blue Lagoon beach would be a nice little break and also a fun little boat ride?

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strategy for days with five cruise ships

Personally, I think any day spend on Blue Lagoon Island is better than the crowds at Atlantis (or any other crowded resort). It's a truly beautiful little island, and it's large enough to get away from the main beach and explore.

Do it.

5. Re: Strategy for days with five cruise ships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17