We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Part 1 is Paradise Island and Part 2 is Eleuthera.

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Seven of us spent 4 nights on Paradise Island 7/11 – 7/15 and then 7 nights on Eleuthera. Three nights in Nassau would have been plenty but that 4th night free is hard to resist. My husband and I stayed at Comfort Suites where we like the quiet and the free breakfast. Our adult children and their group stayed at Royal Towers where they like the action.

The weather: Mid 80’s and low humidity. I have never seen the air so clear while looking down Cabbage Beach. It did rain but it was never a show stopper. The weather got better each day until it was absolutely perfect by the end of the second week.

The smartest thing my husband and I did was to arrive on a Wednesday rather than a weekend day. We were the only ones checking in at Comfort Suites and the focus we received from the staff was amazing. At our request, they changed our room assignment to one that was ready. Our safe wasn’t working and it was repaired immediately. The customer service was excellent. This year we also noticed that the CS pool is a party destination rather than an empty, lonely facility. It was busy every evening. There was also a BBQ buffet and DJ on Thursday night poolside. We already had other plans but it looked like a good 75 people were there having a good time partying and dancing.

The Atlantis pools were good but always crowded from late morning on. There were lots of chairs and umbrellas available. Almost all of the pools had music which was disappointing to me. I think the water and wind sounds are more relaxing. Some women wear thongs that shouldn’t. Many people felt they had to secure a tube and guard it all day. That would not be necessary if they just let the tubes flow with the ride and the crowds.

And speaking of crowds, they have become a deal breaker for me. Our Atlantis departure day had 5 ships in port including the Oasis (the BIG one). That probably means an extra 15,000 or so guests at Atlantis. And it also discourages me from wandering downtown. Good for the economy, bad for me.

The best parts of Nassau/Paradise Island:

Poop Deck’s had the best drink of the trip – a Goombay Smash.

One and Only Club – We took the Atlantis shuttle and had a drink at the beach bar. The grounds and Cloisters were beautiful.

Goldie’s – Our favorite restaurant at the Fish Fry. The sunset on their back deck, the band, the food and drink were excellent.

Senor Frog’s – My son’s favorite. I just wanted to make my son happy, so I joined him on the dance floor and then the conga line. (I should’ve paid attention because I didn’t realize it was a conga/SHOT line.) Then I got dragged into a Cougar contest which I won! Only because I had gray hair and was a good sport.

It was a fun-filled four days, hitting just about all of the pools, skinning knees and chins, hula-hooping like crazy people, shopping at the PI straw market, loving the Junkanoo on Saturday night, eating at Bimini Road and wandering through The Dig. But the entire time, in the back of my mind was Eleuthera….

NJ
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Sounds like you had a great trip-thanks for posting! As for those pesky DJ's at the pool...ugh! The one we had on Monday 07/23 (first full day of our week) at The Baths pool basically chased us out...he started off okay, but then continued on (and on....and on....and on....) with this horrible unending mess of unfamiliar club music...I was hoping he would have the rest of the week off...thankfully, he did...or maybe he was at another pool! I am paitently waiting your TR on Eleuthera....have never been there, but would love to go someday...

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Thanks, MaryL. The Eleuthera TR is out there under Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 Part 2.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

I love Goombay smashes!!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,284 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Thanks for the report, I too thought it strange people were holding on to tubes (hadn't seen that last year). I wish the staff would've taken them away from them.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

Great report!

7. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island