We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At&t Cell phone coverage??

Hopkinsville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
At&t Cell phone coverage??

I am planning a trip to Nassau in February but have concerned that my AT&T cel phone will have coverage. Has anyone had success/problems with AT&T? Is there anything I can call customer service and set up before my trip to improve call charges or reception? Any help is appreciated!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

Don't know about AT&T but I am pretty sure you will be on international roaming (make sure you turn data off).

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

You will need to call ATT and add international calling for your service.

This is $5.99 for the month. Calls will cost $2.29 per minute incoming and outgoing, and $.50 for outgoing txt. You will need to sign up for a data package if you will be using your data.. It's expensive.

Now . here's the kicker. Batelco (the bahamas phone co). is not a reliable service, We have outages for days sometimes, and there are blocked spots all over the island. Atlantis does NOT get good reception, nor does any area near the working marinas and ports. So it's hit or miss.

Have a back up plan for keeping in touch.

Hopkinsville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

That definitely dosent sound promising! Would I have better luck with the rental cell phones I heard can be acquired through the airport? I am guessing coverage would still be sketchy regardless? Also is wifi reliable in the Atlantis area? Thanks so much for the help!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

Atlantis has good wifi but is super expensive. I heard from someone its like $10 or $15 a day. I suggest going to places like Starbucks to use their wifi.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

Rental Cell phones use the same services. Not any better reception.

I have both a US ATT phone and a BTC phone.. no difference. Same cell towers

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,575 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

As an alternative to using a cell phone while there you can buy a Bahamas prepaid phone card for around $10 for 20 minutes to call back to the U.S..

Phone cards purchased in the U.S. do NOT work in the Bahamas.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,523 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

Agree about the phone cards. We have verizon cell phones, they worked the first day and that was it, didn't work the rest of the days. So we bought the phone card there and used that, worked fine :)

Hopkinsville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

Thanks guys! I will definitely plan on depending on the phone card! In addition, does anyone know of wifi locations on Nassau? I am staying at the Sheraton and just noticed that they only have high speed wired Internet in room. Don't think my iPad can run off of wired. Are there coffee shops or other public places that have free wifi??

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

I read on the forums that the Dunkin Donuts across the street from Atlantis has complimentary wifi. We plan to use this to do a skype call with our daughter halfway through the week (since this will be the longest she's been without us).

10. Re: At&t Cell phone coverage??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 13:05
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island
Recent Conversations