We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

Seattle
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

My boyfriend and I will be going to Atlantis at the end of February. I generally wear a bikini top and board shorts for swimwear. The boyfriend also wears board shorts. I've been reading that there are restrictions on the water slides concerning swimwear (i.e. no metal buttons, clasps, etc.). All of my board shorts have small grommets around the draw strings at the waist. Is this going to be an issue? I've seen women's board shorts with elastic waists, but I have never seen a pair of guys board shorts without grommets, and I can't imagine guys are not allowed to wear shorts with grommets. Most also have zip pockets on the side. Anyone have experience with shorts with tiny amounts of metal? Will they let you on the slides?

I also have a great pair of Adidas "boat" shoes. They are true water shoes, but have laces and a fairly sturdy sole. Are the slide attendants going to take issue with these because they have somewhat rigid plastic?

Thanks in advance -- the Tripadvisor community always has great answers!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

I can't imagine there being an issue with the little metal grommets. It is more the adjustable buckles or anything that might get snagged on the slides. It's just a safety issue mainly (and maybe a modesty one if someone's bathing suit gets yanked off while hooked on a slide) Your outfits sound fine, though they may say something about the laces on tof he shoes. If you can tuck them in or have the ends out sight, then they should be fine too.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

I'd be concened about metal zippers on the pockets. Part of the issue is scratching and scraping the slides. My grandson's suits have plastic zippers, not metal. They were fine.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,839 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

Atlantis does not want their slides scratched by metal buckles, snaps, jewelry, etc.. That's why there is a sign at the top of all slides saying no metal buckles, snaps, watches are allowed.

As long as the water/boat shoes have no metal on them, they are allowed. I never saw anyone checking on the rigidity of water shoes.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,522 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

We had to take our water shoes off for a couple of slides, no deal big deal, just hold them on the way down. The rubbery bottoms can get you stuck on the way down :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

I'm thinking they are not going to be as strict as I was initially thinking. I've been watching GoPro videos of people going down the slides on YouTube. We, too, will be taking our GoPro and will want to use it on the slides -- so I'm thinking that if they let people on with video cameras, they aren't going to care about a little zipper, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their replies -- I appreciate it!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

If the zipper is on your back pocket, they will have a problem with it. A camera is handheld.. it won't rip a scratch in the slide.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

I just returned from Atlantis (there from 1/23-1/27) and one of the days I wore my bikini which had gold metal circles on my bikini bottom (front side). No issues, no one said anything. I think women have to be more careful with swimsuits coming off (tops or bottoms). I heard way too many funny stories about that happening on my trip. Just don't forget to cross your arms and legs on certain slides.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

Haven't been to Atlantis, but we went to a Maui hotel with a waterslide, and they did NOT allow any metal stuff on bikinis, bathing suits, etc. because it scratches up the water slide and for safety issues. I advise that you go to Target and just get a bikini and board shorts without any metal or "scratchy" decoration on them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

Just wanted to update everyone who so contributed to answering my questions: we just returned from our trip, and, in general, staff didn't seem to care about ANYTHING at Atlantis, least of all what people were wearing on the slides (see scathing review to come!). I wore my board shorts with metal zippers no problem. There was only one time that my boyfriend was told to put the GoPro camera in his pocket, and that was at the top of one of the slides where you have to use a tube. He put it in his pocket and then pulled it out right away again, witnessed by about 5 other employees and no one said a word. Another time he was asked to remove his (plastic) watch. I saw people with metal rings on their bikinis, jewelry, Rolex watches and particularly locker keys around their wrists -- 9 times out of ten no one cared. I was actually shocked at the lack of concern / supervision on the sides and water features. But that was the least of our issues at this joke of a resort.

Oh, and yes, I did actually have a "wardrobe malfunction" and my boob popped out of my bikini top on the challenger slide. I laughed about it and it was no big deal -- actually asked the life guard if it happens often and he said yes, but that it had been a "slow boob day". Hilarious!

Edited: 02 March 2013, 22:24
nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantis-specific swimwear restrictions for the water park

Wow...scathing review coming. Can't wait to read it. Looking forward to it, and your critique of Atlantis. I was once a big critic of Atlantis, but after staying there for a few weekends, I have changed my opinion. Not a perfect place, but considering the other options....they do all right.