We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost to go to Atlantis

New England
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cost to go to Atlantis

Wouldn't it be great if everyone who plans on visiting Atlantis completely understands the word "expensive". It never ceases to amaze me that folks cannot wait to post on trip advisor how they just got back, had a great time BUT the costs to go on vacation at Atlantis were shocking.

Raise your hand if your tired of reading posts from TA' users that just rattle on about how expensive it is. We already know it so tells us something useful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

That's a good point it is pricey, but well worth the trip. You really get a lot for your money when you think about all Atlantis has to offer. You just have to watch out for some of the basic hotel traps when you get there. Here are some ways about how you can save money at Atlantis.

allaboutparadiseisland.com/ways-to-save-mone…

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

Agreed. I honestly don't find it much more expensive than visiting any other big city. They offer so many specials at all times of the year, so I don't see how it's terrible. Look at lodging in Hawaii in the nicer places.. most of them run $$$ for probably less than Atlantis offers.

virginia
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

I don't think the room rates are the problem... it's the fact that they nickel and dime you to death with extras.. and add 15% to everything to boot. (which other hotels and venues do NOT do.. just food service).

Expensive is relative. My son lives in a rural area where the fine dining restaurants would cost about $100 for 2 ppl including a decent bottle of wine. He expected to pay 1.5 x that, maybe more, but not near triple for a lesser quality meal. Even in NYC the prices are high.. but the quality is deserving and usually service is on point.

Personally I don't think Atlantis is justified in charging some of the outrageous pricing for "fine" dining, which is not only NOT fine dining.. but abysmal. And to add 15% gratuity to that.. and not pass it along to the staff is disgusting.

Atlantis has a captive audience and charges whatever the market will bear.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

Your point is taken, but why whine about a location that is really no more expensive than any other popular up-market vacation spot? With all the specials Atlantis runs with room rates, freebies and airfare discounts, it's probably getting people to come who really shouldn't if they don't have at least some discretionary cash to spend. Yes, food is expensive, and yes, there is a 15% automatic gratuity added, but considering nearly everything must be imported, it is the cost of doing business in the Bahamas. But the flip side is that there are many places to go and eat that you don't have to pay those sorts of prices for. I eat out regularly in the Bahamas, and can assure you that I don't pay those sorts of prices. It's like anywhere -- if I stay in NYC or LA, I expect to pay more for things as a tourist than as a local who knows where to go for bargains and better prices.

virginia
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

Dusty, did you know that Atlantis doesn't pay customs tax of imports of food, supplies and building supplies??

Other venues in the country must pay these tariffs.. so it stand to reason Atlantis woud be CHEAPER, not more expensive than other places

Again.. it's not the initial costs.. it's the nickel and diming.. next you'll be charged for air.

Most upscale resorts have free wifi, gym use and other perks.

I usually get fruit baskets, water, favorite wine, strawberries etc at any other upscale resort. Atlantis doesnt even leave a chocolate on your pillow.

Actually, we keep tossing around the description of "upscale".. I wouldn't call it upscale, just expensive

There's a difference.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 21:16
nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

I;m not sure where you got that Atlantis doesn't pay stamp tax on anything. That is no where near the truth. Since they depend on local wholesalers for nearly all their products, they pay the stamp taxes. As it is figured into what they pay for products. Also, Atlantis is the largest employer in the country except to the government, and they pay 5% to national insurance for each employee, Plus it takes a lot of dollars to run all those lights and power the resort. Yea they get and have some breaks from the country, but they are paying plenty to be in business here, Trust me on this, wiifes fiirm does the audits there, and a good friend is a supplier there.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 03:05
Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

We go yearly and stay in the timeshares there. I really don't see any difference in the prices you pay at Atlantis vs., say DisneyWorld or a spa resort in Palm Springs. Yes, you pay a 15% service charge, or tip, on your purchases but you do at a lot of restaurants in the states. A party of 6 or 8 at lots of restaurants pay a mandatory 18% tip. I don't think we paid any more at Nobu for dinner than we did at his restaurant in Vegas. Now THERE'S an expensive vacation. Show ticket prices are ca-ra-zeee but if you want to play, you pay.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
966 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

In my opinion ... We pay just as much or MORE to go to Disney in Orlando .... which we did yearly when the kids were younger .... now we go to the Caribbean :)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

Thanks, wwnbev, for answerting the assertion that Atlantis pays no taxes. It's sometimes tough for people to understand how we do things in the Bahamas, and yes, while it does seem more expensive to live here, we do not pay income taxes, and therefore actually get to decide how we spend our hard-earned dollars. If you buy more things, you pay more taxes. To me, it is much fairer (and consistent) than having an automatic percentage lopped off my paycheck. Therefore, much of our economy is consumer based, which is also largely imported, hence the import duty and excise taxes. While no one disputes that the hotels often have special arrangements to pay less taxes, they do not by any means operate for free. And costs are high. Period. And like anywhere else, those costs are passed on to consumers.

Tikib, Atlantis is a bit like a cruise ship or Disney. Same basic product available to all guests, but you decide what level of accomodation, cabin or special service you want. And like anywhere else, you pay for it. Atlantis does indeed put "extras" out for guests in the upper levels of accomodation -- or at least whenever I've brought in clients to come to town, they have been afforded perks such as freebies, champagne, event and venue tickets. So it can be made as "upscale" as you want it to be, but you pay for it.

Boston
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost to go to Atlantis

I didn't find Atlantis any more expensive that other islands I've been to. We picked and chooses which venues to eat at. I did find all employees extremely knowledgable about the resort and friendlier than other resorts. Drinks were no more expensive than most resorts but certainly less than NYC lounges I think the point is correct that some people go to Atlantis on a great deal and then expect that deal to continue once on site. Plus expensive is relative. We go into Boston and know to add $45 for parking for the night where as a Midwesterner finds paying $10 for parking outrages. Planning nd researching are the key to a "no sticker shock" vacation.

Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island