We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place at Potters Cay ?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best place at Potters Cay ?

where is the best place to get conch fritters or deep fried grouper at Potters Cay?

(local best)

Edited: 06 July 2013, 03:35
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

Honestly, from a purely local perspecitve, I would not eat anythiing from under the bridge. There is no running water and sanitary conditions are less than ideal. It's a great place to people watch, play dominos, have a beer, buy local produce from the out islands, but IMHO, not to eat.

Sure, lots of people eat there, and presumably they are fine, but after having gone out there several times and had a look around, as well as seeing the filthy harbour water with garbage and debris (and who knows what else), I didn't want to eat anything.

Fish Fry has gotten much better with running water, toilets and regular inspections by the sanitation folks, so if you are looking for a good local meal, give that a try instead. .

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

Good advice...we have always heard about it...went a year or so ago...walked around 5 minutes, and got out of there fast! Does not look sanitary.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

Thanks dusty! will take your advise!

how about the canteen truck that used to give meals

to Atlantis workers on PI?

does it still survive?

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

I've eaten at Potters Cay for more than a decade and never once got sick, nor has anyone I know of.

They DO have running water for clean up (it's a couple of hoses hooked up to city water).

I like McKenzies and Burning Spear.. and for conch salad.. a little place on the east side.. about 3 doors down. Some places specialize in conch Salad, some in Conch Fritters, others fried fish. Just check out what others are eating.

Even the food trucks in the morning are good. There's usually a line for Chicken Souse or Turkey soup.

No worse than the street vendors in NYC.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

:-O oh my ......lol

I will try potters then again....thought it was good local stuff, even tho I have all inclusive GREAT food at the Riu, I always love to sample some good fritters with a cold Kalik at a local vendor, good chats with the local ppl. My walk over the bridge to Hammerheads then I'll stop by one your recommends. thx again scuba!

where are the food truck locations lately?? and times to go?? and food of preference of these ? thx again!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

moontan101-If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in what your thoughts are after you go to Potter's Cay, and where and what you ate. As stated, we had heard about it for years. I finally attempted to eat there after a co-worker raved about it. Our cab driver was like, "You must mean the Fish Fry at Arawak Cay". We told him, "No-Potter's Cay" (we have been to the Fish Fry a number of times-will go back again). He was smart enough to hang around, knowing we would be needing a ride elsewhere. He was right. As for the food trucks, they have been recommended by locals but I have never gone. I have seen them outside the Beach Tower, near the Convention Center at Atlantis.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

BTW-we thought the Conch Fritters at Viola's (just a short walk from the RIU) were some of the best we've ever had.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

Food trucks at Potters Cay are only there early in the morning, and located all the way to the back near the mail boats. They run out quickly, so I don't think it's worth a walk over the bridge.

Vendors are no longer allowed on Paradise Island near the convention center where they were. I was told some were moved west of the property where the construction vehicle are. (past the reef/cove) but I have never seen them. (this area has been cleaned up recently, so I don't know if they are still there) You might want to ask some of the workers when you get there.

Downtown Nassau on the wharf has food trucks, and ladies selling great food out of the trucks of their cars at noon time. Best oxtail and okra stew I even had. Dumpling stew, mutton, fish and chicken dinners. etc.

No conch fritters. Vehicles are located west of the straw market on the south side of the street.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

BTW.. Bahamian breakfasts are often very spicey and not what you'd expect. Generally corned beef or spicy tuna and grits, chicken souse, turkey souse (soup) etc. You won't find eggs, muffins and bacon on these trucks.

Café skan - located downtown next to the straw market has a nice breakfast... and they also have a nice selection of Bahamian foods for lunch. (they are closed for dinner).

10. Re: Best place at Potters Cay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 07:18