We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Atlantis!

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Atlantis!

Just got back from Atlantis today! Stayed at the Beach Towers Thurs., July 13 to Sunday, July 16. Just wrote my review and it should show up in a few days. Any questions? I'd be glad to help if I can. Thought the resort was great! Did the dolphin encounter and loved it! Many thanks to all who helped me and answered all my questions!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

I've got a question...are they still selling the tall orange and green

plastic tumblers filled with a frozen drink at poolside? Wondering if I should bring the one I bought last year with me...refills were, I believe, the same price as a regular drink, but you get a larger drink. Thanks... Mary

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

I didn't see anyone drinking anything from large plastic tumblers at the pools, so I don't think so.

Also, I did notice that on both Friday and Saturday (the only days we were at the pools) the fountain soda machines were "out of order". They were only selling canned soda. I don't drink soda anyway, but I remember reading here that some people got refills at the Cave and Shark Bites. Both places had the machines out of order. It just made me wonder if they had "caught on" or if they were really broken.

Commack New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

My family and I just got back from Atlantis. To respond to the question about the drinks in the big tall plastic glasses...yes they were still being sold. We saw many people walking with them, fluorescent pink and green I believe. Many of the soda refills were out of order when we were there. We had to move around to try and find one in working condition. Enjoy your trip...we sure did!

new york
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

love to hear that you had a great time, how was the beach tower and also the pool chair situation. did u have to get there early. also how far of a walk to get to slides and was there any short cuts that u found. thanks and can't wait to leave in 7 days.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

I thought the Beach Towers room was nicer than I expected. I was a bit nervous after reading all the bad reviews. It was very clean and the carpet and bathroom looked new. The countertop in the bathroom was marble. This may have been a refurbished room as I have read in other posts that some are. We did not have a view (a little disappointing) but we really only slept and showered there anyway. Housekeeping came every day and had fresh towels daily (as I would expect, but others have posted that they didn't get this).

We spent one day at the pool by the Beach Tower. We got there about 9:30am and were able to get 3 chairs together right at the foot of the pool. A lot of chairs already had towels on them, but there were still some available. We did the Lazy River a few times and walked along the beach (both are right there). We walked around to check out where to park ourselves the next day and saw all the other pools. It's an easy walk (with flip flops...concrete is too hot barefoot).

The next day we parked our stuff at the Royal Baths. This one is closer to the big slides. There were TONS of chairs available at 9:30am, even at 10:00am. We didn't want one with a canopy, but I saw several available. Again we were able to get 3 together (more easily here) at the foot of the pool. We did the big slides...Leap of Faith, Serpent Slide (my fav), and Jungle Slide. I prefered to leave my stuff by the chair while riding the slides rather than by the slides. We walked (with flip flops) over to Lazy River again. There is a path near the beach that takes you pretty quickly from Beach Tower end to Royal tower end. Definitely wear flip flops, though.

Hope this helps!

new york
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

fsufan, thank you so much for the info, its amazing how the reviews can be so different for the same exact place. some people make it sound like that it is such a far walk and the beach towers are horrible and you had such a positive review. i won't listen to those people, im gonna go with a open mind and have a great time. thanks again

Commack New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

Before we went to Atlantis July 8th through the 15th 2006, we also were told such horrible stories of having to get up at 7:00 a.m. to claim a beach chair. This is truly ridiculous and we had no such problem. We stayed at Harborside and would usually arrive at the pools near the Leap of Faith the latest by 10:00 a.m. and not only were there available chairs, but there were piles of chairs waiting to be utilized, some even with the shades. We never had to wait on line for anything with the exception of the tube ride through the fish tanks but this too moved very quickly. I found the Bahamian people to be very helpful and friendly. I also see a lot of posts about the food being expensive. Residing in Long Island, NY we are used to things being expensive but the price of a dinner at Fathoms and The Great Hall of Waters was a little excessive. We just go with the attitude that we are on vacation and this is how it is at all tourists spots. There are however ways to eat cheaply if you wanted to. We chose to experience some of the Restaurants on site. We now no for our next visit which places to eliminate. Our suite was always cleaned right after we got up and there were always enough towels for our use. If you keep an open mind about the prices you will have a great time. We also did not feel crowded like some of the other posts claimed. this resort is so tremendous, with numerous pools, the beach, restaurants and activities that everyone is spread out. this will get better when the new section is completed since they are supposedly building an even bigger water park with its own dolphin encounter.

new york
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

adyanks, that is great to hear about the pool chair situation, we decided to just wing it and if its that bad then we'll get up early. we are also from long island and when u go out u won't get a drink for less than $5, i went to the collisium(sp) the other night $12 for 3 water bottles and $18 for 3 beers so go figure, we were out for the night so it didn't bother us. we wouldn't do it on a regular basis but same with vacation its once in a while.

9. Re: Just got back from Atlantis!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island