We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Walnut, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a newly single mom with two boys (6 and 8) who have had a tough few years and deserve the first vacation of their lives! Money is tight but I want to treat them and make this trip a warm memory. They really like the idea of "all inclusive" and they are too young to know real luxury vs. a hotel that looks decent enough. My thinking:

Arrive at NAS and rent a car. Check in to comfort suites for two day and enjoy the water park and aquarium at Atlantis. Spend very little time in our room.

Then, check out of comfort and into harbor all-inclusive. Let the. Eat from the Buffett and we can snorkel and relax away from Atlantis. Maybe splurge on a dolphin, seal, or jr. Trainer encounter at Atlantis.

Then, fast four days at the all-inclusive, head home.

Does anyone see glaring flaws with this plan? Thank you! (Going 6/18/14! :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Just a couple of comments.....First, you don't need or want a car. It's a liability. The roads, traffic, parking, bad drivers, roaming dogs, will be enough of a distraction. Taxicabs are plentiful and cheap enough. You can also go cross the bay to Nassau town on the water ferry for a few dollars. .Second, if your all-inclusive is the nearby Paradise Island Harbour Resort (you can walk there), please read the reviews. Basically, it's a dump that should have been torn down years ago. You can stay at Comfort Suites (free breakfast) and eat cheap enough at a few local places that are nearby (walkable), as well as order pizza delivery from Dominos.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 20:02
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Do Atlantis at the end of your trip. That will be the fun part for the kids...don't have the rest of the trip be a let down.

Walnut, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

I thought about that, but it is another $60/day if I book comfort over the weekend. :( I'm hoping they'll burn out after two days and I'll keep the animal encounters for the end?

Walnut, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Thanks, Tutman! I'm really torn about the all-inclusive. I read the reviews and I suspect that my kids would still like it. We did overnight at a Best Western in LA once and they thought it was the nicest hotel ever. I gather that Paradise Island Harbor Bay (and yes, that is the one I booked) isn't TERRIBLE, but can't compare to the super-luxury of the 4 star resorts.

I'm now considering Comfort Inn the whole time, regardless. Thank you! Any input as to which animal encounter is best? The six year old is slow to warm up to new stuff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

First, agree with above. Do not rent a car. Complete and total waste of time and money (not to mention driving safety issues in Nassau).

Use the money you save on the car and stay at CS the whole time. That all-inclusive you are talking about may be questionable.

Also, check with Atlantis to see what specials they are running at their hotels before you fully commit to CS for the whole trip. There are airline credits and $59/pp rooms available right now as a special. It may be just as cost effective to stay on site at Atlantis as it is to stay at the Comfort Suites.

BTW, from what I know of Nassau (and there are people here who know a lot more than I do), Atlantis will be the highlight of the trip for your boys. My kids are close to your kids ages, and they just love being at Atlantis. Doubt they will be bored at all on the property, regardless of how long you are there.

Good luck and enjoy your trip and your time with your kids.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Another great advantage for guests of Comfort Suites is free Hi-Speed WIFI Internet access in all rooms that worked great during my last stay.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

I agree with the above, based on what you are planning, a car is completely unnecessary. Save the money and use it elsewhere.

Stay away from Harbour Bay "Resort", makes best western look like a 5 star luxury hotel, complete dump, pitiful beach, easier to stay at comfort suites (use the money you save from car rental to pay the difference)

Re. animal encounter, i would very strongly recomend Blue Lagoon over Atlantis, IMO a far better experince, and offer something different than Atlantis which you will already have experienced. Blue Lagoon is an island about a ten minute boat ride away (boat ride included in price of admission), so you get a nice scenic ride to the island, then the island is itself is a much nicer setting with great beach and great beach play area for the kids, the animal encounters are in a far more natural setting then the giant swimming pool Atlantis has.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 13:27
Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Been going for 14 years-never gotten a car--don't do it.

If you are flying on an airline where you can get a free bag I would bring snacks that your children like--it will save you a bunch. Many of the lunch meals would be enough to share so that will be a savings--I also bring an insulated bottle for all and make crystal light or something similar to keep hydrated during the day.

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Is blue lagoon and boat ride age appropriate for a 15 month old ?

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My "budget" ideas. Reasonable?

Blue Lagoon is fine for toddlers. I've seen many kids in strollers onboard.

The water is very shallow and calm and great for little ones.

Kids under 3 are free when accompanying an adult doing a dolphin encounter.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 16:36