We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great place!!!

East Haven, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great place!!!

We were there from 2/17-2/23 and had an awsome time. The weather was great, warm and sunny everyday around 85. I must say though that the pools are NOT heated and kind of chilly. The ocean was beautiful, nice waves and clean white sand. We got there on Thursday and had no problem getting a chair by the pools or beach until Sunday when all of the people statred to arrive (school winter vacation). At that point you could forget about a chair anywhere. There really should be a rule about the towel on chair business but I suppose the early bird gets the worm. We stayed in the Beach Tower and that was just fine for us (Husband and Son). I have to say that after going to all of the different pools at the Royal and Coral Towers I found that the Beach Tower area was much calmer, quieter and laid back and I enjoyed that spot more than the others. As for our room is was basic but very clean and a good size , everything was in working order and we had no problems. One thing you really need to do though is to check your bill every couple of days. Upon check-in we refused the mini-bar key, and were charged for items from the min bar, we rented a fridge ($15.00 per day) and they charged us for 7 days instead of six. I called up and they credited us right away, but you do need to stay on top of them. You can get a copy of your bill right at the concierge desk. As for food what can I say besides EXPENSIVE and AVERAGE. We knew this going there, so we were prepared for the prices. I really cant think of one resort we have been to that the food was cheap and great . We came to the Atlantis to have a great time , and we did , we enjoyed every aspect of this beautiful place with so much to offer that the mediocore food really wasnt that much of a big deal. If you have been to Disney World you will know what I mean . They are adding on so much to this resort that it will be the Walt Disney World of the Carribean. The Atlantis Resort is really hard to describe with all of the water features, aquariums,sea life , bridges, pathways, twists and turns, beautiful plants and flowers. it is just so much to take in and thats just on the outside. We would go back in a flash. You just have to see it for yourself. If you have any questions you can E-mail me I would be happy to help.

Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great place!!!

Jewlz, I couldn't agree with you more. I hate to even think what our daughter and her family spent at Disney World last year. They have already decided their next vacation will be the Atlantis.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great place!!!

I have a pretty lame question, but since you were just there....well maybe you will ease my mind. I am trying to pack light and really don't want to take my hair dryer. Do the ones in the rooms work?? You can laugh first and answer afterwards!!! Thanks, Julie

mrn
anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great place!!!

Thanks for the review, I've been in limbo for some time. The reviews are so mixed that it makes it hard to decide. I would like to hear all of the details so I know what to expect.

East Haven, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Great place!!!

To jharris29,

There was a hair dryer in our room and yes it did work...but I brought my own. By the way ,I dont think your question was silly at all!

East Haven, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great place!!!

to mrn,

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I too had mixed feelings about booking our trip due to the negative reviews I had read. But if you read all of the negative reviews they sort of have the same complaints in common and that is the price of meals, etc... In knowing this I knew what to expect when we got there. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Wyckoff, NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great place!!!

My family (wife, daughter 5, son 8) just came back and the chair situation only got worse after you left. By week's end, I was up at 6:30 to get chairs near the kid's pool by the Mayan Temple. Other than that, this trip was fantastic. I will definitely return once my daughter hits 48" (minimum height for all slides). FYI. The kid's pool by the Mayan Temple was heated.

Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great place!!!

I am taking my 11 year old son at the end of June and we are staying in the Royal Towers, should we upgrade to the imperial club to avoid pricey breakfasts or is that a waste of money? I eat 2 meals a day and he eats 4. I am concerned about pricey meals. Also,any suggestions on going what time of the week, what days are less crowded, weekdays? Sundays? Leaving and coming and has anyone done the dolphin encounter? Any suggestions on keeping a 11 year old busy?

Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great place!!!

I am taking my 11 year old son at the end of June and we are staying in the Royal Towers, should we upgrade to the imperial club to avoid pricey breakfasts or is that a waste of money? I eat 2 meals a day and he eats 4. I am concerned about pricey meals. Also,any suggestions on going what time of the week, what days are less crowded, weekdays? Sundays? Leaving and coming and has anyone done the dolphin encounter? Any suggestions on keeping a 11 year old busy?

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Great place!!!

We did Dolphin Encounter - swim with the dolphins. My kids were 5 and 8 and I just asked them and they said they both liked it. BOOK Early if you want to swim with the dolphins!!! They do some dolphin education, put you in life jackets, introduce you to the dolphins and then it's in and out of the water to do some various dolphin things - touch, dance with, and a foot push ride. They take alot of pictures and video - all of which are available for purchase if you are so inclined. Seems like it was $100+ per person but well worth the experience - I'm so glad my kids got to be that up close and personal with a dolphin.