We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Junkaroo parade?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Junkaroo parade?

I read somewhere that the best way to see this was to buy tickets for seats? Is this really needed or can we just stand along the road?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Junkaroo parade?

Junkanoo happens twice a year -- Boxing Day and New Years Day and tickets are sold for both events. It is not necessary to get tickets, but advised. Standing crowds along the streets can get rather rowdy and unless you get there very early, you are unlikely to get a decent viewing area in the main parade route. Bleacher seats are more comfortable and generally the higher the price, the better the viewing area. Tickets usually go on sale several months before the parades.

There are other Junkanoo parades, but these are much smaller affairs and for the tourists, so it's not really the full monty at all. There is a summer festival that incorporates Junkanoo into the program, and many of the big hotels offer a "rush out" for their guests, but these are nothing like the real thing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Junkaroo parade?

We were at the Junkanoo Parade in Downtown Nassau early in June. We stood along the sidewalks and while we could see everything, it was very crowded and got very rowdy.

It got to the point where my wife and I actually took a little break and walked up a side street about a block to just catch our breath. Then we went back to the sidewalk to watch the rest of the parade. All good.

The parade itself was a lot of fun and the costumes and the floats were really nice and unique and very colorful. There was some room on the sidewalks for us, but as the parade went on, it got really really crowded. We were ok with it for a while, but as it got rowdier, it just became a bit to much. The parade was worth it though. There was "some" police presence as well, but not too much.

Still a great experience though. We didn't see any "seating", but if there was some, we probably would have went that route. Still had a good time. Hit up Oh Andros at The Fish Fry the same day. It was about a 10 minute walk along the water.

Well worth the time and effort to be at the parade.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Junkaroo parade?

We will be there dec 27 to jan 3. Where can I buy tickets online?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Junkaroo parade?

Try this site or Google "Junkanoo parade tickets". Good luck.

www.bahamashclondon.net/news-detail.php…

Edited: 25 July 2014, 16:05
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Junkaroo parade?

If I wait to buy tickets until we get there, will thefe be any left? I cant get the website to work on my tablet

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Junkaroo parade?

The website www.caribtickets.com is closed down. Does anyone know of some where else we can buy tickets or do we have to wait until we arrive and hooe they arent sold out?

virginia
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Junkaroo parade?

tickets don't go on sale until a few weeks before the event. Keep checking Caribtickets and other sites like it.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Junkaroo parade?

Ok, thanks. It looks like something we dont want to miss.

9. Re: Junkaroo parade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island