We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine, etc.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wine, etc.

We're staying at Harborside. So thought we can do own drinks to save some money. Read here that italian wines and certain liquors were cheap on PI.

Cheap enough to get rum, vodka, and/or gin than bringing some from home. Wine also?

Is liquor, wine, soda, water, etc. cheaper at the little market on PI than at the Atlantis itself? Or, do you need to travel in to Nassau to get cheaper prices?

Again, thanks for all of your help!

Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine, etc.

Liquor is cheap--the problem is what you need to mix it with--having gone to St John every year we are into "Pain killers" which require coco lopez, pineapple and orange juice--all this stuff is way expensive no matter where you get it--even cokes etc are pretty high and this is the kind of thing that would be too heavy to bring! When I travel with my grandkids I do bring an extra suitcase with snacks--juice boxes,their favorite cereals etc--just make sure you are not over the limit--btw if yo do this you then have an extra bag to bring back liquor--can't carry it on as you used to so you can pack with dirty clothes in this bag--there is a really good local mango rum there!

I never go into town and do go to that little place in the strip mall across the street--may be a little cheaper in town but you have to pay to get there--same thing when you eat off site--by the time you pay for taxi you can eat at some of the more moderate priced places at Atlantis.

Enjoy your trip--we have been going there since 2001--never thought I would ever buy a timeshare but knew I would want to go back time and time again--it just gets better and better!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine, etc.

Wolfie is right.. bring along some snack etc.. but pick up the booze when you get there. Besides, you're only allowed to bring in 1ltr pp..

As for where to buy.. the stripmall would be the place on PI, but Nassau is cheaper. (and you can pick it up on your way back from a tour or some other adventure).

I don't necessarily agree that the cab fare to Nassau should keep you from enjoying the local venues. There's so many great dining options that are not part of the hotel. The few xtra dollars is inconsequential when you can enjoy wonderful restaurants like Cafe Matisse, Lucianos, Sun And, Buena Vista, Chez Willies and all the rest.

Bahamian owned and run restaurants are a treat. That's why we travel.. isn't it? To enjoy our host country.

Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine, etc.

I agree as to great restaurants--also love Graycliff--but when I go there are 8-10 of us with little ones--at $5 a person it mounts up!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine, etc.

Thanks again. I was thinking I could carry I plastic bottle of pina coloda mix and one of margarita and/or martini mix in my checked luggage and just get the liquor there. It's still cheap if they know you are going to consume it in PI?

What about wine prices?

Wolfe do you know the brand of the Mango Rum?

Heard there is a bacardi rum factory in Nassau. Do they do a tour? If so, is that worth doing?

Scubagirl, Some people recommend having your taxi stop at the larger grocery store in Nassau on your way in to PI from the airport. Would most taxi drivers be willing to do this? Would the liquor store be close by? Maybe we could buy both drinks, eggs, etc, and our liquor/wine before we get to harborside. Also, how do we pay at grocery stores and liquor stores in Nassau?

Thanks again for all the great help!

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine, etc.

Traveling:

As others have posted, it is better to buy your liquor in Nassau, Hey the place is known for good booze prices. Prices will absolutely be cheaper for sodas, water etc. outside of Atlantis. Paradise Island and Nassau are extremely close. There is just a short bridge between them. No problem at all to ask a cabbie to stop at the store back to PI, they do this all the time. Close to you on the Nassau side is the Harbour Bay Shopping Center. In there is a City Meat Market - it will have everything you need snack wise, water wise and soda wise. Also located in there is a liquor store. The prices there are Ok (sodas better in foodstore) but downtown Nassau offers more stores. Wine is not as cheap as in the States but is not exhorbitant either. I would buy here that as well. Good wine selection in the store at Harbour BAy. Bristol Cellors (there is one on PI) aslo has good wine selections.

Atlantis is a hotel. A very large hotel that is doing its best to make itself the only destination in Nassau. Don't forget that you are visiting The Bahamas and the best of what the Bahamas has to offer is actually outside those very large, well landscaped grounds - local food, local shops, local excursions and some very pretty surrounding islands, reefs and vistas. It 'd be a shame to miss it.

Have a great trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine, etc.

Plan to go in to Nassau some what frequently. But, figured if I could add on my first trip to the taxi ride in to PI, I would save a little more money, plus have my sodas, milk, etc. right at the start of my trip.

Could I/Should I transport wine from Texas. Or, is the price difference minimal from the states to Nassau. Someone said Italian wines were actually cheaper in the Bahamas than the states???

Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine, etc.

TravelingfromTX ....I buy the Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio(Itallian wine) for about $20.00 per bottle on PI. It is about the same price as the states...less expensive than in the states at times. I'ved paid 25.00 a bottle in the Dallas area for the same wine. I've also caught it on sale here in the states for around 17.00 or 18.00 per bottle. But 20.00 a bottle is a decent price. The liqour store on PI is close to Harborside. Hope this helps!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine, etc.

Thanks Carib 4 fun. Yes, I live in Texas and $20.00 is the average I would pay too! Have you bought any cheaper wines. We try to do decent $10 - 12.00 wines unless it's a special meal or occasion.

Anyone know the name of the good Mango rum there?

Anyone know if you can tour the bicardi factory. And, if so, is it worth it?

Texas
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine, etc.

bump

Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine, etc.

TravelingfromTX.....I don't know about the other wines...i was so happy to see the Santa Margharita at a decent price, that I bought a few bottles of that wine. As for rum, I rarely drink it, so I can't help you out there. I didn't know that Bahamas had a Bicardi factory. I did a tour of a Bicardi factory right off of San Juan Peurto Rico and it was AWESOME. Not being much of a rum drinker, I was so surprised at what a neat tour and rum making facility that they had. They also had a gift shop...The Bicardi bat logo items were a hit for my college son. I might look into it while we are in the bahamas in July. Is it located directly in Nassau?