We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Freeport!

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
First timer to Freeport!

Does anyone have any advise on the do's and don't for freeport?

I am traveling with my family and this is our first all-inclusive family trip--ex:plan your departure a day ahead w/the hotel!

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Freeport!

ok I might be able to help....what are the ages of the kids, what do you like to do, where are you staying and when are you going?

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Freeport!

okay great--they are 12 & 15 staying at thw westin.....they need lots of entertainment--waterparks/beach/swimming/go carts/music /arcades!

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Freeport!

The good news is you are staying in one of the best hotels for kids. They have a really neat interlocking pool system with a slide and the beach is right there. If you are up for it I recommend renting a car. Econo rental is cheap and if you call them before you leave they will have a car at the airport when you arrive so you don't have to pay cab fare. They even pick it up at the airport when you leave! When you get there grab a map right away so you know where you are and where everything else is. It really is easy to get around the island. The only thing is you have to drive on the left. There is another hotel over by the bazaar (about a 10-minute ride) that also has a neat pool. There is a restaurant called club caribe about 10 minutes away (in opposite direction) They have stuff to use like beach chairs, water floats etc. and if you walk down the beach there is another hotel that is very active and has water sports. Then there is goldrock beach. You have to drive there but it is a beautiful beach. Across the street is a small nature park you can walk through. It has caves to go down into and see the water and fish. When you head to the beach across the street there are 2 nature paths to take to get there. We go there at least once every trip. The beach you are on is a good place to be if you don't want to drive anywhere else. There is the straw market and all kinds of places to eat right across the street. I don't know how protective you are about your kids (we are all different) but given their ages they can wander around during the day in that area safely. I haven't been there with teens so I can't tell you how it is at night. We went last march with the kids (11,9,8,2) and there was a band playing in the center area and all the kids were dancing. It was lots of fun for them. I met a wonderful couple over in Bimini just 2 weeks ago. They live in Lucaya and if I can get in touch with her I will let you know of anything else she can suggest. I think that even staying in Lucaya the whole week your kids will have plenty to do. The only thing you mentioned that I am not sure of is a game room.

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Freeport!

Thank you so much for the advise-you are great!

Thank you for taking your time out to assisst us!

We are excited---even thinking on doing a deep sea fishing trip!

HAve a great day-Ann

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Freeport!

deep sea fishing.....that sounds great! We plan on doing that when our youngest gets older. (I want to fish, not chase her around the boat!) Have fun!

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Freeport!

we hope so--just a little nervous I think I have picked the wrong destination for us traveling w/ teens! My husband and I have been to cancun(fantastic) and dr-(just okay) but the food and entertainment were fantastic! I have been to bermuda - georgous but boring!

We will make the best of it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all your help! Greetings from CT!

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Freeport!

hey beachbumct!

Did you go to GBI yet? I was wondering how it was. I heard from the owner of our condo complex. She said there are a lot of closed buildings.

central CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Freeport!

tjmac66--

Hello-yes we did go & we are going thru withdrawels(my whole family)! It was the safest complex that we have ever vacationed at!

The only thing that was disapointing was (1) too short (2) did not go on a fishing trip due to the weather-we really only had 1 full day of the sun....I did place a very long review on the forum under the sheraton hotel--it is very long but to the tee......Really can not tell you about the other complexs due to we only left ours for about 2 hours on our last day...

We will return just as soon as we can-but i do have to tell you that traveling with kids the AI route was the only way to go! we were not disapointed in paying up front! CT

Get answers to your questions about Grand Bahama Island