We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cay in a day?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cay in a day?

We are considering visiting Grand Bahama for a day via the Celebration Cruise (ferry) the next time we are in South Florida. What can we do in that day, independently if possible? We aren't into the ideas of lounging at a resort or joining a group tour.

We've traveled to a few of the Out Islands but never to Grand Bahama. We liked driving throught the woods to the nearly deserted beaches of Eleuthera. We also liked the freedom of taking a Boston Whaler up and down the Exuma Cays. Is it possible to rent a boat, without captain, and visit any of Grand Bahama's cays (Sandy and Lightboune both look great) in such a short time frame? If not, what about small out-of-the-way beaches?

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cay in a day?

The only bareboat rentals are by Reef Tours - www.bahamasvacationguide.com/reeftours/. It is a long haul in a small boat to the outer cays, I don't think that is really a good option. You could go to Peterson Cay, which is a national park, though. To go to the outer cays, you'd drive about an hour to East End or West End, then hire a boat there to take you out.

There are tons of remote beaches on Grand Bahama. You don't have to go that far to get to them either. Barbary Beach, Lovers Beach, Crystal Beach, Bahama Beach, Bevans Town, Pelican Point, High Rock, the list goes on. Get a car and a free Bahamas Trailblazer map at the airport, and head out. The best beaches are East of Freeport, while the ones West of Freeport tend to be rockier with coarser sand.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Grand Bahama Island
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cay in a day?

Thank you so much for your suggestions! The remote beaches east of Freeport sound just like what we're looking for.

Can you recommend a website where I can see photos and locations of each? I get a reasonable number of results on Google images for Barbary Beach, Pelican Point, and High Rock, but hardly anything for the others. I can usually get a good feel for a beach by viewing it on Google Maps, but it appears that Google picked a cloudy day to photograph Grand Bahama Island.

Mentioned in this post
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cay in a day?

The nicest beach we have found so far is Gold Rock Beach. You will find lots of pictures of it on a google search. Hardly ever anybody there either and you can also include a look into some of the caves right across the street. Try to go at low tide and there is a three dollar entrance fee. Bring shade and snacks if you need them.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cay in a day?

You can see on Google Maps that beautiful beaches stretch the entire length of Grand Bahama, particularly East of town. Some don't have names, but you can reach them just by trial and error going down the gravel or dirt side roads as you drive out East. The beaches to the West like Bahama Beach, Lovers Beach, Bootle Bay and Crystal Beach are rocky beaches good for tidepooling and it would be a shock if you ever saw another person out there.

Lucayan Beach, Coral Beach, Silver Point Beach, Taino Beach and Deadman's Reef are where most tourists are hanging out. You have other beaches all through Freeport that have one small part utilized but long stretches of white sand beach that is virtually deserted, like Tyne Beach, Pricess Isle, Xanadu Beach, Churchill Beach, Williams Town and Fortune Beach. Once you pass Fortune Beach, you pretty much have everywhere to yourself. The only exception is Gold Rock Beach which does have a couple of nature tours that bring tourists out there, but it's a very large place.

Plan your trip around low tide for the best experience. You're not really going to find much in the way of websites or photos of most of these, and many are labeled incorrectly so it's of limited use anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cay in a day?

Thank you so much! I was hoping there might be something out there like the Elusive Eleuthera Beaches book, but even just knowing which are east and which are west of Freeport is very helpful. I definitely like what I see going east along the southern coast. I think we'll take your advice and just take the car wherever looks good from the Google map. I'm sure we won't be disappointed!

Mentioned in this post
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
6. Re: Cay in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2012, 10:19