We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time too touristy?

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
first time too touristy?

Thinking of a quick getaway in june for 5 nights and am looking at out islands of the Bahamas. we have stayed on Cat Island and Andros before and they were a little too quiet (would go back though). This time I would like an island that has more restaurants/bars and nature sightseeing. After looking at Grand Bahama it almost looks ok but am scared it might be way too touristy.

We also would like recommendations for a private condo or hotel (not AI) that is actually on a beach and within walking distance or short taxi ride to restaurants/shops/bars.

Any suggestions for places to stay and/or another island that might fit us better, thank you.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time too touristy?

Unless you stay right in Lucaya, you probably won't find it too touristy. The section across from the Grand Lucaya had plenty of tourists during the day when the cruise ships are in, but at nighttime after they leave considerably less so, and that is when you will be there checking out the restaurants.

It may just be the right combination of people, and scenic beauty. Can't recommend a specific villa as have no experience with that, but maybe something on Fortune Beach as it is close enough to come into Lucaya to eat, yet far enough away to not experience crowds.

london
Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time too touristy?

Its not too touristy, stay at pelican bay hotel, its really nice., otherwise if you want to rent a villa there are some lovely ones on Fortune beach .. dont stay at the windham hotel that is too touristy and an all inclusive.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time too touristy?

If you want an island that is just touristy enough to have things to do and good restaurants to eat at and a decent tourist infrastructure, but not so touristy that you don't feel like you're in the Bahamas anymore, Grand Bahama might be the one for you. Far less touristy than a place like Paradise Island, but much more to do than Cat Island or Andros, you can wander a deserted beach by day, and eat at a nice international restaurant at night. You can find enough bars to spend your whole vacation there, but not without looking for them. There is a small tourist area if you are looking for that one day, while most of the island is virtually untouristed if you're looking for that.

For a condo on the beach check out Coral Beach Condos or Riviera Towers, both have a lot of units privately to rent online. For a hotel on the beach, the best one is Grand Lucayan. There are tiny downscale hotels like Bishop's as well as more isolated but lovely resorts like Old Bahama Bay. Grand Bahama is a place where it's easy to find the type of vacation you are looking for, as long as you don't need too much tourism or too much of a party scene.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time too touristy?

thank you all this all sounds good, i will research more

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time too touristy?

I've narrowed it down to either Coral Beach Condos or Bishops Beach Resort. I love the look of Bishops being so secluded, it's almost beckoning me. Anyway for those of you that have stayed at Bishops how do you get there? I have read on here that a taxi from Lucaya area to Viva Wyndham Fortuna cost $140 RT?? Can that be true? And with Bishop's being even further what are some options?

We might split with renting a car and staying at Bishops for 2 nights and Coral Beach the other 3, not needing a car.

Also are there any grocery/liquor stores within walking distance of Bishops? Thanks

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time too touristy?

Taxi from Port Lucaya to Viva Wyndham is about $15 one way. It's 5 miles +/-.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time too touristy?

That split actually sounds like fun to me. Just be aware Bishop's is pretty out there but then I know that's what you are looking for. Also rustic or basic. We haven't stayed there but have been there a couple of times for lunch. Pretty authentic old time Caribbean.

Coral Beach is more our speed but you will see more people there. Not crowded, more this time of year than in the summer however. Bishop's my guess is you will be the only ones on the beach yet not isolated as the deck for the bar is right behind there beach. Bishop's is close to Gold Rock Beach so that will be nice too. There is another beach bar right next to Bishops, not sure may be Sunset something or other, but not sure where else there is to eat out there. It's not a tourist area at all. You will get people stopping there after a visit to the National Park.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time too touristy?

Bishop's is located in the settlement of High Rock, about 45 minutes from Lucaya. High Rock is a very small settlement, there are a couple of very small markets where you can get basics, but best to stop on the way at a grocery store before leaving town. Accommodations are Motel-6 type, very basic, but there is a nice local bar & restaurant and of course the beach is wonderful. There is another restaurant and bar next door, and a few very small local eateries in the settlement. The people of High Rock are some of the nicest you'll meet anywhere. There are a couple of liquor stores within walking distance and at least one mini-mart type place. No tourist facilities except the bar and Bishop's will assist in arranging your bonefishing, island escapes or other East End activities for you.

As it is very far out and quite remote you will definitely want to rent a car. Wyndham to Lucaya is only about 5 minutes, certainly nothing like the price you mention. Bishop's very well may be though.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time too touristy?

sounds good to me. We have been to places where there wasn't even a store or any other restaurants within walking distance, so this should be a plus.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time too touristy?

Forum poster BethTW recently posted this review of Bishop's - sounds like she had a really great time.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT