We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

Sunny Tampa
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

Good Day All! I will be staying at the Grand Lucayan from Monday 4.2 to Friday 4.6. I wanted to inquire if there are GPSs that work on the Island. I like to go off the beaten path, take coordinates off of Google Maps, and explore the island. I did this in Puerto Rico and Aruba. I love the idea of having a car, and going to a different beach every day. It seems like the island is small enough. I like to snorkel and pure relaxing. Renting a vehicle will cost me around 50-60 a day.

Can I rent a car from The Grand Lycayan. Also is there a good map of the island that I would be able to view. Haven't seen one that is clear enough. Thank you in advance.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

I'm not sure about the GPS but we did rent a car for one day while on the island two weeks ago.

The cheapest one day rental I found was $75 including taxes (insurance $12 extra if you want it) with Island Jeep Rental. They come pick you up from the hotel and take you to their office at the Island Seas Resort which is failry close- about -5-10 minutes away. The car was brand new. They give you a map (the same one you will find in the hotel lobby). It is not a pefect map but it will get you anywhere you need to go as a tourist.

We did call several other rental agencies and most of them had 3-day minimums on rentals and the others that allowed a one-day rental wanted $85 per day. I did look up quotes on orbitz and found a cheaper quote from the airport locations but we did not want to go all the way to the airport since we would only have the car for 24 hours. I also figured there would be some sort of airport tax added onto that quote and my savings would be minimal.

We drove to Paradise Cove on the West End and snorkelled and had lunch. Then we drove to the Lucayan National Park and Gold Rock beach on the East side. That is about all we had time for with a one day rental.

Hope this helps.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

And I should have clarified that the rental rate was $75 and there are NO taxes according to the agency (I stated taxes were included). I assume there would be extra taxes if you rent from the airport.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

I don't think they have GPS, but you don't need it. There aren't many roads, and if you're armed with a Bahamas Trailblazer map (they'll give you one free) and ask the rep to mark on your map where the attractions you want to see are, you should have no problems.

4. Re: GPS in Grand Bahama and Renting a Car. A good Driving Map?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 09:24