We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather worry

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
weather worry

Just booked a week at the Grand Lucayan from Memorial Day to early June. That's the only week my daughter and I could coordinate for a vacation. We've visited about a dozen islands in the Caribbean but never the Bahamas. Have always wanted to, so we decided to take our chances with the "rainy season" and just go for it. Will we regret it?!?!?

We want a relaxing week of sun and sand and swimming and Bahama Mamas!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather worry

I think that is a GREAT time to go actually. I went from June 1st to 13th last year and the worst I had was very high and thin overcast with an occasional thunderhead, but 20-30 miles off in the distance. Didnt get a single drop the entire 12 days but I was lucky I'm sure.

On the other hand during the "dry season" 5 weeks before I planned to go, they had 3 days straight of rain (very rare) which raised my blood pressure in anticipation of worrying about me trip.

Then the same thing happened May 19th to 24th when it was a steady rain (very rare again) for 4 days straight and I was about to have a conniption with my trip just over a week away.

While you are correct in that June is the rainy season, it is only "on paper" that it is the rainy season. What that means it that it will probably pour everyday, but likely for just 15-30 minutes and then its done. Since the rain is short but intense it adds up to a lot if you had a rain gauge which is what I mean by saying its rainy "on paper"

I have no idea why (any meteorologists on this board??) that pattern happened the way it did that early last year, but just like Sandy, and the October snowstorm of 2011, these were not the norm and rare.

So yes, def plan to go in May-Jun! I wouldn't hesitate to go again that time of year, not just for the weather, but being 3 weeks from the summer solstice I have the most hours of daylight to take pictures!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weather worry

No reason tu worry, Tes 'rainy season" starts at the end of Nay. But the term "raint season" can be misleadinf. It's just the time of year when we receive the makority of our annual rainfall. Does not mean all day downpours, although that can happen, but not very often. At worse, you may have an afternoon thunderstorm or in the early evening lasting an hour or so. Nothing to worry about.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather worry

Just as contingency, can you extend your vacation 2 or 3 days in the rare event the weather doesn't play nice?

After the late May rain scare last year that I mentioned earlier, I was ready to tell my buddy I was traveling there with that, in no uncertain terms, we would absolutely be extending trip if weather was like that and that!!

Luckily it didn't come do that but I was ready to do it, but to be fair to him I would have picked up the incremental increase in his expenses for doing that, as it would be a lot less than making another trip there.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 02:46
nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather worry

Sorry about the typos,,was answering your post from my blackberry .But no need to worry about the weather.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather worry

Thanks so much. I'm relieved. I've done enough reading of travel guides and traveller forums to know better than to believe in sweeping generalizations about weather, but I had momentary buyer's remorse I guess! You are so right, about the common quick downpours. That is expected and perfectly fine. I would be disappointed if we spent an entire week in rain and thunderstorms, but we'd make the most of it somehow I'm sure. We love to travel and explore new places - I just need to start the countdown and try to contain my excitement! Thanks so much for helping me regain my senses and realize how fortunate I am to have this fun time to look forward to with my wonderful daughter in a beautiful place, rain or shine!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weather worry

Along with all the rain discussed above, comes very high humidity. If you find those conditions very uncomfortable as I do, I just wanted you to be advised.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weather worry

Funny you mention the humidity - I was just thinking about that this morning, too. But then I remembered how little it bothers me when I'm on vacation, with my toes in the sand, the breeze in my hair, and an umbrella drink in my hand! Thanks.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather worry

Rainy season just means that you'll have some downpours, lasting usually a few minutes, usually in the late afternoon or evening. That's just the tropics. Remember it's 85-95 degrees outside, the warm, tropical summertime rain is just a welcome relief from the humidity. Go to the bar for a few minutes or many people just keep right on sunbathing. It will almost never disrupt your plans for the day - it only disrupts plans when people worry too much about the forecast and don't do something they wanted to because they saw rain in the forecast. Those that keep their plans are almost never sorry they did.

Folks from nothern climates where you see rain in the forecast and that means cold, wet and miserable are always scared when they see any chance of rain, but then pleasantly surprised to find out that they had a great time. People also are used to weather forecasts being fairly reliable - they are not reliable in the tropics, especially a small island - who knows if that passing thundershower will actually pass directly over your hotel or if it will pass a couple miles away and leave you dry?

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: weather worry

all excellent and reassuring points! i do recall, on my first ever trip to the islands, the puzzled look on our taxi driver's face when my companion asked how the forecast looked for the week. clearly it wasn't of any concern to him, and i took the hint that it shouldn't be for us either! it's just that we are very focused on such things up here in New England, where the weather can be so extreme and so changeable and can so severely disrupt any long-held plans. i won't give it another thought and will happily report back about what we experienced in terms of late may/early june weather when we return. thanks all!

South Amboy, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather worry

weather should be in the mid-eighty ranges and quite sunny nice island breeze which makes itcooler we just came back on April 17th 2013 for a week had great weather you might get a occasional pop up shower but let that damper your trip we went kayaking last year on slightly rainy day and had a great time enjoy