We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

Northern California
3 posts
Save Topic
"noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

Just returned from Cozumel and was eaten pretty badly by sand mites. I understand that the Bahama's, in particular Grand Bahama has the same problem.

My family is traveling in July and was curious about other experiences with the notorious 'noseeuems' on the Grand Bahama island--especially in the summer months.

Thanks!

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

No-see-ums are no better and no worse than any other Caribbean island or, for that matter, most Florida beaches. Some are impacted more than others but during broad daylight they are not often a problem for most people. In the early morning or at dusk, look out!

Danny

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

Nocal, I agree with Fasst1. They can be a problem just about anywhere. I have used Avon Skin so Soft for years and it really seems to help. Although not made as an insect repellent, it works for me and has worked for my children when they were younger and we went camping all the time. They usuallly come out at dusk, dawn and after a rain. If you don't have Avon in your area, try the local pharmacy and they have products that are similar. They are a little oily, so use very little, and make sure that your ankles and feet are protected. It has a nice smell compared to other products so that is a plus!

NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

Like the others said, they are worse in the evening and at night. I got more bites then my husband. He had shorts on while I was wearing slacks, go figure.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
129 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

Ditto - worst at sunset.

But just as bad as we had in summer at Sanibel in Fla., and we were last in GBI in December. This was first time with bad bites on beach in GBI.

Avoid sitting on a towel on the sand!!!! We were sitting to watch the sunset. Sitting in a chair is safer, with feet off the ground.

If walking, try to stay below high tide water line or walk in the water.

The sunsets were really beautiful!

Olive Branch, MS
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

My husband had no bites at all, but I had quite a few. We travel quite a bit, and this is the first time I've ever had them.

We were usually the first people on the beach in the mornings, and the last to leave at night - maybe that explains it!

6. Re: "noseeuems" Biting bugs on beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about Freeport