We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing food from states

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
orlando fl.
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
bringing food from states

we will be booking a condo for two weeks and would like to bring our food from florida. are there any resrtictions as to what can be brought in thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing food from states

I have been asking this same question on the Abaco Message Board. As I understand it...you cannot bring any produce to the Bahamas (fruits / vegetables). However, it seems that many repeat visitors to the Abacos do bring frozen meats, including lunch meats in insulated bags.

Opinions vary re: how well stocked the Bahamian grocery stores are and on the quality of their meats. Some folks say you can get anything you need, but expect to pay at least 20% above U.S. prices. Other seasoned travelers say they have learned to bring certain items from home. I think some of this may depend on what your "base" island is. We are flying into Marsh Harbour and then boating to Great Guana Cay for example.

You might try searching for "Abaco Message Board" or "Abaco Discussion Board". It will come right up for you and then you can read several discussions there on the topic of bringing groceries.

Nassau, New...
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing food from states

The only real restriction on bringing food is large amounts of chicken as they want you to purchase the locally produced chicken. But keep in mind, that as a visitor, as long as it does not look like you are going to sell it, then it won't be a problem. Coming from the U.S. produce is OK. Other countries are a different story as several of the out islands have had citrus canker and they spent massive amounts of money to irradicate it. I always bring at least one cooler of food back with me when I come from the states and never had an issue with any of it.

Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing food from states

"Coming from the US produce is OK"

That contradicts anything I have ever heard or seen. That is one of the questions they always ask--Do you have any fruit with you?? Fruit/veggies are a "no no"! Unless they have changed the rules fairly recently.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing food from states

Does anyone know if processed foods like peanut butter or jelly in a plastic jar are ok?

Thanks!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing food from states

I've brought jelly and its never been a problem. Has to be checked luggage tho.

Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing food from states

Jelly/peanut butter is fine but it is considered a liquid so must be checked. At National Airport in DC they considered cheese a liquid--go figure--so I had to go back and check it.

Nassau, New...
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing food from states

You can bring the fruit/produce INTO the Bahamas, HOWEVER, you WILL NOT be able to take it back to the US if you don't finish it. Because the Bahamas gets its produce from all over the world, the US authorities at the airport do not allow it to go back because of diseases and whatnot, even though it came from the states. But bringing it here to the Bahamas is not an issue.

N Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing food from states

I bring a cooler as a checked bag packed with frozen pork chops, steak, bacon, chicken, frozen veggies, frozen berries, etc. I put a hand towel on top of that and pack bagged salad and have never had an issue in 7 years of taking the cooler. I will be loading it up next Saturday for our 2 week stay.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing food from states

According to the ministry of agriculture in the bahamas.. the following applies.

Plants

Plants, Flowers and Fruits are a restricted import and all imports will only be allowed with approval from the Ministry of Agriculture.

A Phyto-sanitary Certificate from the proper Government authority in the country of export.

I have, in the recent past, had fresh potatos taken from me when going thru customs in Nassau. (my SO love yukon golds and we can't get them easily here).

Chicago, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing food from states

Even though it sounds like there are not many restrictions from bringing in non perishable food - do we need to declare any of it upon entry? If so, what are the guidelines and how do we go about that? thank you!

Get answers to your questions about Freeport