We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to tip our maid?

Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to tip our maid?

Does anyone know if the maid service likes cash left or other items?

Thanks

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to tip our maid?

I think anyone would like that - just remember your hotel price already includes 15% gratuity on every single dollar.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to tip our maid?

I always tip cash, usually a few bucks each day. A lot of people in general (even in hotels whereby gratuity is not included) do not tip the person cleaning the room. I believe they deserve it, especially since cleaning up after others is not always the most pleasant job. That being said, I always get enough towels, soap, etc.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to tip our maid?

Definitely cash if you feel the service warrants. Check to see if a "housekeeping" or "gratuity" charge is already added and how much, and tip as you feel necessary. Unless you have established a particular rapport with a maid and know she might like a certain item or gift, cash is far more appreciated.

Unlike some other countries, the Bahamas has a higher standard of living and various items such as perfumes, soaps, and trinkets are readily availble for purchase here, so are not usually appreciated as tips.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
new york
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to tip our maid?

I have to agree with tipping in cash.

I give $3.00 a day usually. It is appreciated.

5. Re: What to tip our maid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:16