We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Let me start by saying I live at the beach in Rehoboth Delaware...so my question may make sense to some of you ;)

I was watching some videos on U-TUBE of the beach out front of the Wyndham Viva Fortana when I saw a HERD of SEAGULLS all around.

They were in several different videos by several different guests taken at different times. I am sorry, but having to live with these flying RATS I really do not want to have to vacation with them also.....LOL

They poop all over the place, steal your food right out of your hand or plate and will dive bomb you at will.

PLEASE oh PLEASE tell me they are not that bad on the beach....... Like they are at home.

TIA

Momma Frodo

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Sorry to tell you, but low tide and food bring out the seagulls anywhere along the coast line.. Bahamas included.

Some places are worst than others. Food and crustaceans are the draw.

I've been all over the caribbean and have yet to find a place that didn't have plenty of seagulls along the shore.. especially nearing the end of the day.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Thanks for your reply.

We have been to Jamaica x 6, St. Lucia, Antigua x 2 , Dominican Republic x5, St. Croix, Aruba x 2, all over Mexico x 5, San Andres Island, Colombia and Roatan Honduras right off the of my head.

We have seen lots of black birds, Pelicans, wood peckers, wild parrots and your wide variety of tropical birds. I can honestly say we have not encountered HERDS of Seagulls or even a few that comes to mind. Nothing like we have here on the beaches of Delaware or like I saw in these videos.

Sad to say IDK if I can deal with these flying Rodents. You know how some people just have an aversion to some things? Mine is Seagulls apparently. Such a stupid little thing I know.........

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

I've seen these flocks of seagulls (along with squaking black birds) as far south as aruba. Maybe we see more of them because we are usually on our boat near the marina's where the fishing boats are coming in. But the beaches I have been to almost always have plenty of seagulls and smaller "terns", at the end of the day,

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Frodo...we just came back from Grand Bahama yesterday. While we did not stay at the Wyndham we did ck in w/ Customs at Port Lucaya and spent lots of time at a beach bar/conch shak there. We stayed nearby and visited many beaches. Never encountered more than a few seagulls unless some large groups (assumably day trippers from cruises) were feeding them. Lots of beaches where there were few people and fewer gulls. Since we did a lot of fishing we were actually looking for them!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

I've been to the Radisson in GBI and the Sheraton in Nassau. We never once had a problem with seagulls. I remember they had many by the Breezes in Nassau. I wonder if it's because it's an all inclusive and there's more food around.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

The only place I've really seen seagulls more than one or two on GBI is out front of Billy Joe's Conch Shack at around closing time. We were out Churchill Beach near the Wyndham a couple weeks ago and didn't see one gull. I haven't seen any the other times we've been at the Wyndham either, but we only were there to dive for a few hours, not staying there, so maybe if someone dumps food or there happens to be a dead fish wash up or something, but that doesn't sound like anything I've noticed or heard of happening normally at the Wyndham or elsewhere on GBI.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Thanks all!! I really want to visit the Bahamas. When I saw all of those videos my heart sank.

@Dian....maybe they are at Breezes since they are the KMART of the resorts....LOL

here in DE/MD no natter how far inland you go if you see a KMART you will see a herd (flock) of seagulls in the parking lot.....never fails!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
898 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

The ones at home are ghetto and the ones in The Bahamas are classy ... lol :)

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

Johann is right about Billy Joe's. We had lunch there on Sunday and the birds chased us inside under the roofed section. They just hoover above you if you try to eat on the outside tables.

Its fun there though and don't not go because of that. Just plan on eating inside. Good conch, although my husband thinks Bishop's conch is the best he has had so far. I like Billy Joe's pina coladas and the band was entertaining.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strange Question - Observation....Sorry ')

That is weird. We were at Billy Joe's twice last wk. We have rated their conch salad our #1 on Grand Bahama and their Grilled Conch #2 (loved Tony Macaroni roast conch) both were very good and different. Never were at all bothered by seagulls at Billy Joe's. We did sit under roof on the patio. One day was very crowded with Brazilian "cruisers". The last trip on Friday had Big John playing music, much smaller crowd. Great food, drinks and service, no seagulls!