We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radisson or Pelican Bay?

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Radisson or Pelican Bay?

I've talked my husband into visiting Grand Bahama Island next May. I know it is far in advance to be planning, but I think I've narrowed my choices down to two hotels the Radisson and Pelican Bay - I am looking for a nice quiet beach and also a nice pool area. Radisson is a lot cheaper (less than 100 a night vs. just under 200 for Pelican Bay) and Pelican Bay isn't right on the beach, but it seems Pelican Bay is smaller which I would think would translate into quieter - and I would also think that Taino Beach doesn't get as many cruise ship visitors. Anyone familiar with both that can give me some advice? We're looking for peace, quiet, isolation, and relaxation :)

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

Taking your last four words into consideration, there is a much better choice, although probably more expensive, than either of the two you are considering. I suggest you take a look at Old Bahama Bay, on the West End of GBI. It has all those four qualities in spades. Beautiful beach, very nice pool, very, very quiet and certainly far more isolated than the other two. It has a decent restaurant on site. I hesitate to comment on the differences between Pelican Bay and Radisson since I haven't been on the island in a couple of years, but Old Bahama Bay fits the bill better than either based on your last sentence.

Danny

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

I hate to say this but you may have picked the wrong island. Of the two I would choose the Radisson. You will have a better view and better access to the beach, just don't expect peace, quiet and isolation. They try and maintain a cruise ship party atmosphere around the pools and depending on when you go the beaches can be crowded. Most hang out at Billy Joe's Conch Stand these days. There is a quiet area of the Radisson in the Lighthouse Cay area. Expect to walk 5 or more minutes to reach it and every other day Celebration Cruise is in so you would have to catch it on the off days. Taino can be even more crowded then the Radisson. Faast's idea is good but you will be on the extreme end of the island. We haven't been out there yet so can't comment. Looks beautiful however. Maybe one of the out islands would be better?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

Old Bahama Bay looks great - but the price is pretty steep! One of the out islands would be nice - but they just started non-stop flights to freeport for very cheap out of KY, so that's why I've picked Freeport. I know we could catch another plane to one of the out islands, but I'd be worried we'd miss the next flight and would rather not have to deal with it. I am not really looking for a "cruise ship" atmosphere so maybe I'll go back to my original plan of a vacation rental at Coral Beach. That seems like maybe a quieter/ less crowded location?

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

Yes, that would really be a better fit for what you are looking for. Love their beach over there.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

I think Danny's suggestion of Old Bahama Bay is right on the money based on your preferences. They usually will have specials in May, either directly or through Grand Bahama Vacations. You can buy your airfare now, and then wait to see what specials come available, or maybe Vision offers some good packages. They have by far the best rooms and most relaxing atmosphere on the island.

I also think Coral Beach is a good fit for your interests - it's away from Lucaya, but not too far that things are invconvenient. There is a beach bar there now which makes it even better. Great beach, relaxing.

As to your original question, Pelican Bay sounds best for your interests of the two for sure. It's a lot quieter than Radisson (no pool activities and music going on, and no cruise passengers). You get free access to Taino Beach Resort which has the best pool on the island, and a beautiful beach that is a great place to relax. 2x1 Happy Hour in the grotto bar too! Pelican Bay is a very nice boutique hotel - no beach, but a good happy hour, great location, and a more adult-oriented ambience.

One more suggestion if you want an Out-Island feel while still having the great flight deals to Grand Bahama - www.deepwatercayclub.com

6. Re: Radisson or Pelican Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:16