We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused by what's covered by credit card insurance?

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Confused by what's covered by credit card insurance?

I saw an old posting that Johann&Sandra had replied to back in 2009 about what coverage is required when renting a car and who offers free coverage. We are renting from KSR. My Amex card covers up to $50,000 of collision damage and waiver (CDW) which is damage to the rental car I am driving. What I am not able to get a straight answer on is if I am at fault and wreck someone else's car on the island, who pays for that car's repairs or replacement?

Please help. We leave at 8am from home tomorrow.

Thanks

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused by what's covered by credit card insurance?

You should check with your credit card company's policy to make sure you understand exactly what they will cover and not, and also check with your insurance agent at home to see if your liability insurance will work in the Bahamas, or usually they have an international rider you can get for your vacation.

Liability insurance is required on all vehicles driven in the Bahamas. That means that all rental vehicles should include the mandatory minimums of liability. For example, Avis says:

Public liability of BSD100,000/300,000 and property damage of BSD50,000 included in rates. Passenger liability is not included.

That means if you hit the other guy, his car and passengers and property are covered up to those limits. However, people in your vehicle are not covered by this insurance, so if your passenger ends up in the hospital, that would not be covered. Your medical expenses and your passengers would likely be covered by your own medical insurance however, or some other insurance, so those are always things to check out before you leave so you don't pay for things you don't need.

When you arrive at the rental car desk make sure to find out if the vehicles include the mandatory minimums - they certainly should - but they will want to sell you a higher level of liability. Find out what the limit is for the included insurance, and decide if you feel comfortable with that, or you feel you want a higher limit.

The rental car agencies will likely not divulge this information willingly, as they never do anywhere, so don't get distracted by scare tactics and be prepared to stand your ground to find out the answer you are looking for and decide whether the additional expense is worth it to you.

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused by what's covered by credit card insurance?

Thanks. When I called KSR, all the lady told me was that they offered a single insurance cover for $11/day which is not a lot but unnecessary based on your insights below. We leave in a few minutes for the airport and very excited to visit your island! You have been a great help through a bunch of different questions I have asked over the past few weeks. Thanks again!

3. Re: Confused by what's covered by credit card insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:20