We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temp

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Water temp

Anybody at grand lucyan hotel? How is the water temp? Can you swim? Ocean vs pool? Thanks!!!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temp

Water temps 73 to 75, yes you can swim.

F A
Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temp

Ok, the truth? Yes you can swim, but in Jan - Feb the water is not warm. But, most of the venues for snorkeling etc. will often have wetsuits you can rent (cheap, maybe $5 per). When we went snorkeling, most of the fam did that and were quite comfortable. I - being a man - braved the water and after a short period of screaming like a girl, became acclimated and was fine for the duration. P.S. - try to bring your own snorkels and masks, as the masks at some of these places are a bit used. All ours leaked and made it diff to dive down very far.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temp

Great report - that's they way I experience it too, right down to the screaming like a girl LOL

But once you've done your squealing, you're good to go after that for a good 30-40 minute snorkel, depending on how sunny it is that day, and your body's natural tendencies to be warm or cold. I'm usually cold blooded, but I can usually do 40 minutes before getting chilly, even in Jan & Feb.

Agree with the recommendation for your own snorkel & masks too if you have them, but usually I've found the rentals to be ok. Remember you don't have to take the first mask they give you - if one leaks, ask them for another one - they're different sizes for different face shapes.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
139 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temp

Here is my feedback I posted yesterday to a different thread.

I just returned from my January 2012 Bahamas cruise and I offer some water temperature/swimming/snorkeling advice.

The water temperatures at 4 different Bahamas locations were in the low 70s. The water was very brisk. Not tropical. I highly recommend that if you don't like brisk water temperatures you buy a skin or some neoprene wet suit options. You do not need a a thick wetsuit. I had a long sleeve/long pants skin (like a thin wetsuit). I added a neoprene vest. My total $ spent for both items was under $125 and they did not require a lot of packing room. When I did get to more southern locations where the water was warmer I was able to use the vest alone.

We had a great time!

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
438 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temp

Can you offer your feedback on the weather. Looking at the forecast it has been daily in the low 70s as well as scatterd storms. Is it raining? Or did it rain a lot? We will be there in a week.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water temp

Monday was rain all day, but tue, and today was awesome. Tem is 77 and water, little cold when you get in but later is nice. We went snorkeling today:)water temp is like lake in summer in new England:)

7. Re: Water temp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 09:17