We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conch Pearls & Shells

Peru, New York...
5 posts
Save Topic
Conch Pearls & Shells

I was trying to find places in the Bahamas that I could buy conch pearls, but read on one website that US Customs will confiscate any part of the conch. Is that true? I can't even buy a conch shell as a souvenir when I visit the Bahamas, let alone a pearl?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Yes, you can buy conch shells bought as souvenirs. Most people do.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

I brought home conch shell I bought as souveniers and one that was given to me by a chef who had cooked it for me. I have never heard of conch pearls.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Coin of the Realm has some beautiful conch pearl jewelry as well as Bahamian coin jewelry.

http://www.coinrealm.net/collections.php

Peru, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Thanks for the tips and ideas! I'll check out that website and I'm glad to hear that I can indeed have a shell as a souvenir. ;-)

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

I'm not totally clear on this, because it was hard to get a straight answer. But, the restrictions were generally about taking conch meat out of the country. Not sure how well it was or is being enforced. As far as souveiner conch shells or jewellry made with conch shells or pearls, there are no restrictions. Just don't expect to get a discarded conch shell from behind a conch salad stand through customs. It has to been clean, and free of any algae, and such.

Peru, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Thank you so much for the info - glad to hear it!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Jewelers Warehouse in Port Lucaya Marketplace has some beautiful conch jewelry that is very reasonably priced. Was ther ein March and bought some. Good selection, too.

Peru, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out!

Peru, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

I just wanted to let anyone who sees this post in the future know that I found a great place to get conch pearl jewelry from. It's called Marcial DeGomar's Emeralds International LLC and it's located in Key West, Florida. I simply emailed them at info@emeraldsinternational.com and they got back to me within a day or two. I asked about getting a small pendant with a conch pearl on it that was within my modest price range. A gentleman named Carl custom made a pendant for me that fell within my budget and it is gorgeous! After I called and confirmed that I wanted the piece, I received it within 2 days - and I live at the other end of the US. I also found out through a phone conversation with Carl that this is a family run business that was started by his father-in-law over 50 years ago. He traded 6 lobsters for his first conch pearl decades ago - it was a neat story. Any way, I couldn't be more pleased with the service I received. So if you would like to order jewelry with conch pearls, I highly recommend Emeralds International. Call 1-877-689-6647 and ask for Carl.

10. Re: Conch Pearls & Shells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Freeport