We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories Grand Bahamas

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Memories Grand Bahamas

Does anyone know if the beach infront of this hotel (previously known as Reef Village) provide any form of shade in the way of palm trees ect? I have been trying to find out if the hotel will have palapas on the beach but seeing as it isn't opened yet my question has gone unanswered. Spending time on the beach opposed to the pool is what is most appealing but with children and no possible shade on the beach just not doable. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

There are some palm trees, yes, but not super plentiful. The shade I remember seeing is near the edge of the pool area rather than directly on the beach. There are no palapas normally, but they may be being installed with the redevelopment, who knows.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 12:47
Edmonton, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

Thanks I appreciate your reply. So basically there is no shade on the beach and still in limbo about any possible shade with the redevelopment. Maybe bringing several huge golfing umbrellas will be the only way of ensuring some hide out for the kids on the beach!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

I guess we will be one of the first guinea pigs! We booked for Jan 19-26!!!!! I can't wait to go to the Bahamas :)

I am awaiting an update from Sunwing (the provider we booked with) to get more details on the opening.

Aurora, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

Honestly we stayed at the Grand Lucayan 2 years ago on the 6th floor ocean front and you couldn't have asked for me. I'm sure you can use Grand Lucayan pools too and the beach is quaint peaceful and not a lot of vendors harassing you. Hope you enjoy it. We are going back next year for our 40th wedding anniversary. Would be interested what the new Memories is like.

Aurora, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

Yes no shade on the beach but around pool area etc. You are so right being conscientious about this with your children. My wife and I were too. Small amount of time at the beach and then maybe coming back up from the beach and some shade. Smart parents! Yes they do need shade on the beach. That would be a good comment to make to the manager of the hotel.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

I wouldn't assume that you can use the amenities of the Grand Lucayan without paying them a resort fee. While the site of Memories was previously the Grand Lucayan Reef Village, it's now owned by Blue Diamond Resorts. The Grand Lucayan is not owned by Blue Diamond so I wouldn't expect them to welcome a competitor's guests to their pool.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

I am very concerned about shade as well. Small kids out in the hot sun all day do not mix. I booked a diamond club swim out room jan 25th, that way when they are not in the pool, they can hang out on the covered terrace.

Also, there is a diamond club reserved section on the beach. Maybe it will be those tented beach beds or cabanas... One could only dream. I don't know why more resorts don't have Bali beds, cabanas, or palapa beds on the beach. Many resorts like paradisus and marival residences are on the right track.

8. Re: Memories Grand Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16