We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freeport Bahamas

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
Freeport Bahamas

hi. going next week - what are your suggestions? Not to many positive comments that I have read so far. first time there and by the looks of it - will be our last. will be renting a car - anything on that topic will be appreciated as well. Locals please respond. thx

Las Vegas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Freeport Bahamas

If you are looking for world-class shopping, nightlife and dining, then you will probably really dislike Freeport. Should have gone to Nassau.

If you are looking for beautiful beaches, clear water, snorkeling and scuba, and enjoy interacting with the local culture and people you will have a lovely time.

Since you have a car, suggest you spend a day and drive out to the east end of the island. Lots of little villages along the way. Perfectly safe to drop in at the local snack shacks, and pubs along the way. Local specialty drink is a Gully Wash and snack Conch Fritters.

Take some time and get off the beaten track to Peterson Cay. Absolutely beautiful pristine beaches. Take water and snacks though. Another local beach is Taino Beach. Do not miss the Friday nite fish fry!

Port Lucaya is the main shopping area/square. Lots of nice little shops. Restaraunts here are good, but nothing really outstanding.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freeport Bahamas

Nothing like going into a vacation with a positive attitude....

Lots of positive comments and lots of suggestions here on this forum, it's only to take a few minutes to read them.

Freeport, Grand...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Freeport Bahamas

Hello...just to let you know there are Segways in Grand Bahama...check out reef tours

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Freeport Bahamas

Hi nworbimat429 - Welcome to the TA Forums!!!

Don't think you're going to find locals who are going to say too much negative about where they live... LOL

I'm from Nassau, so I'm biased about Nassau & the nearby areas - but still think you can have a wonderful time in Freeport. If you haven't tried Bahamian food, well there are enough different delicious dishes to keep you busy right there :) Also hope you'll go for a SAIL LOL and with that car, well, you can non-stop beach hop...

There are absolutely gorgeous beaches! 52 of them, so I understand...

tripadvisor.com/…53065926

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147420-i186-k6572…

Hope you have a Wonderful Trip!

harveys lake pa
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freeport Bahamas

Only been to Freeport twice and both time were on cruises. If you are looking for something fun to do, the Reef tours offers a Segway tour along the coast which is fantastic. Blue lagoon is also a beautiful ride to get to the dolphin experience. I recommend the dolphin swim. Hope you have a good time! Safe travels!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freeport Bahamas

From the sounds of it, you have already decided you are going to hate it so I am not sure there is much that anyone can say. Regardless, to make the most of any vacation, research goes a long way in finding out about things to do, where to eat, where to stay. I am absolutely, definately planning on visiting GB again as I loved it's beaches, people, and laid-back vibe. That Segway tour sounds like a must if my kids are by then old enough to use their own. You are renting a car so you have the ability to get to just about anywhere you'd like. Roads are quiet, unlike Nassau which is INSANE to drive in. Your vacation will be what YOU make of it. Take every opinion/comment, good or bad with a grain of salt and come with an open mind. I really can't figure out what someone could possibly think is bad about a laid-back island with gorgeous beaches while they are on vacation?

7. Re: Freeport Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Freeport
Recent Conversations