We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atlantis harborside vacation

Dallas, Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Topic
atlantis harborside vacation

I am going to Atlantis Harbourside on vacation this summer and would like some suggestions. We are traveling with children and are on a budget. Can anyone suggest the closest and best place to shop for groceries? Is it worth packing items in checked luggage to save? Also, how comparable are the prices to the U.S.? I've heard of a place called Solomons. I have also heard you can go online and have items delivered to your room but the prices seem awful expensive, $24 for a case of water. Is that how expensive it is in the grocery stores? Also can you suggest thing to do outside of resort? We will be bringing our own snorkeling equip.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atlantis harborside vacation

I hope that you have airline tickets to Nassau on New Providence Island, and not to Freeport on Grand Bahama Island if you're staying at Atlantis Harbourside. You posted in the wrong forum for the hotel that you're staying at. There is a Solomon's, however, on both islands. They will have reasonable prices on some items and extremely high prices on others. In general, basic items are much cheaper than gourmet items, and often not more than Publix in Florida. Dairy and name-brand snacks tend to be high. If your kids have a name-brand snack that they need to have, stick some in your suitcase. If you look at the website for the Bahamas Weekly, it will have the current add for both the Freeport and Nassau Solomon's. Just 2.99 for Peter Pan peanut butter in Nassau this week. The food delivery service will be much more expensive than the grocery store. You're paying for the convenience of having someone else spend their time shopping for you, and the gas that they use to make the delivery. I think the kids will have a blast at Atlantis and you might not need to do much else with them.

Dallas, Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: atlantis harborside vacation

Thanks for taking a minute to reply I guess we will be shopping at Solomons. Yes, we will be getting tickets to Nassau. Can you suggest somewhere for beginners to snorkel, or any must see attractions for the first time visitor?

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atlantis harborside vacation

The easiest place to snorkel is in the paradise lagoon at Atlantis. While not a real reef, there are things to see, and the water is completely calm so it would be great for beginners. For an additional fee, you can snorkel in the Ruins, but we were happy just to look through the glass. You won't see anything except sand if you snorkel off the beach at Atlantis. Once everyone gets comfortable with snorkeling, you could take an excursion to a real reef. They have one available through Atlantis, or from an outside operator such as Sandy Toes. Check the weather before making a reservation for a snorkeling excursion. If the wind is blowing the waves will make for unpleasant snorkeling in the ocean.

We don't have kids so we toured the forts and botanical garden. They were nothing exciting, and since we were there in May, it was hot. For kids, there's the Pirate Museum and the Ardastra Zoo which they might like if they're into that. I really thought Atlantis, with all of it's pools, aquariums, and water rides, was enough to keep us occupied.

4. Re: atlantis harborside vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Freeport