We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in BH...Great Exuma??

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where in BH...Great Exuma??

My husband and I are looking for a relaxing beach vacation in the Bahamas. Looking to find beautiful beaches , beach bars and do some small island exporing....by boat

I found a great deal at Augusta Bay in Great Exuma so we are thinking about that place.

Has anyone ever been there? Is this a good choice?

Also looked at Hope Town Harbour Lodge on Abaco and Coco di Mama on Eluthera..but I think maybe Great Exuma is better for day trips to explor little islands/beaches.

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Whitney

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

For what you say you want, the Abacos (Hopetown) is actually far better. I love Great Exuma but your boat rental territory restricts you to Elizabeth Harbour which is a decent area to putt around in but is not nearly what you can see by renting a boat in the central Abacos. Hopetown would be a perfect place to start. I have also been to Eleuthera but you would be strictly land based there- no rental boats or island hopping by water (you can drive to many beautiful beaches and even drive up north and take a water taxi over to Harbour Island if you want).

If you want a hotel/small resort rather than a rental house, look at these in addition to HHL (stayed there and love it- very well located to get around by boat and in the settlement on foot to restaurants and bars):

Abaco Inn (Elbow Cay),

Sea Spray Resort (Elbow Cay),

Green Turtle Club (Green Turtle),

Dolphin Beach Resort (Great Guana),

but i think for a "first timer" the Hopetown Harbour Lodge would be very hard to beat. If budget is a factor, you can save quite a bit in the long run if you rent a house and have a full kitchen to make the occasional breakfast, lunch or even a dinner or two to enjoy on your own deck with a view!! happy travels- you would love Abaco.

PS There are many, many boat rental companies, it just depends on where you decide to stay- if you do stay on Elbow Cay (where HHL is) then you can traverse quite a bit of the Sea of Abaco and go to some great spots- be sure to get to Pete's Pub in Little Harbour and Nippers on Great Guana (they have a big party on Sundays for a pig roast- I used to like it when I was younger but now I prefer going there when it is not Sunday)- there are quite a few little bars/restaurants you can get to on day trips in your boat with snorkeling or beaching along the way.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

Don't forget Cracker P's on Lubber's Cay- there is also a new place there on Lubbers but I have not been and forget the name. You might want to google some of these places and look at their photos to get a better feel for the area. There also seem to be great videos on YouTube these days too if you do a little searching.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

Thank you so much for you suggestions, they were extremely helpful and thorough!

Unfortunately, I forgot to check back here before I booked my trip!! I ended up booking Augusta Bay in Great Exuma...It looked really nice and I read a few reviews about visting Stocking Island and a few other places that sounded nice. I hope it turns out to be a great trip...hope the hotel is nice...I just read a review and it said the beach was really little at the hotel...oh well, can;t worry about it now. I'm sure it will be a nice trip no matter what...it is the Bahamas after all...:)

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated!

Let me know if you have an suggestions for Great Exuma ;)

Best,

Whitney

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

I'm sure you'll have a great time at Augusta Bay. Elizabeth Harbour has plenty of beaches and a few beach bars (Chat n Chill, St. Francis) to explore. Great Exuma, itself, also has plenty of beaches and small restaurants and bars to duck into along the way. Yes the beach by Augusta Bay is tiny, but Jolly Hall is very close and very nice. The fish fry is not to far and a good time. Make time to drive to Little Exuma to see Tropic of Cancer and eat at Santana's. Be sure to stop into the Peace n Plenty and have a drink out by the pool overlooking the Harbour.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

I second everything 7mile said. Exuma is wonderful, your place wil be great and you will have a great time. There is nothing unfortunate about your plans!

6. Re: Where in BH...Great Exuma??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 07:18