We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing an Out Island - need advice

CT
Level Contributor
149 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing an Out Island - need advice

Hello,

My husband and I have been to Long Island twice and cannot get over the water and the friendly people. We'd like to try another island but I am all over the place and cannot decide which to choose. I've been looking into Eleuthera but just read some posts on Exuma and Provo. I've looked through the forums and everything sounds so great that I change my mind each time. Not very effective :)

We are looking to stay at a rental house on the water (preferably) with a restaurant/pub (or 2) nearby when we need another face to look at. Driving to them is fine - walking is even better but I realize that may be unrealistic. We like to explore and find other beaches, and meet/chat with others. He is a boater and fisherman so I assume we'd rent a boat for a day or two just to putter around in - nothing too crazy. We don't need night life - a nice view and somewhere to grab a beer or two and some food would be great.

Does he need a fishing license?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some piece of info that would help you offer ideas - so please let me know. Thanks in advance - I appreciate you taking the time to read/respond.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
878 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

We have been to The Abacos, Bimini, Harbour Island, and Eleuthera. We were planning to go to Andros next, but we are now considering a house in the Berry Islands called Little House on the Berry. It is on Great Harbour Cay. It is right on the beach and you can walk to a restaurant. We have friends that sailed from Florida to the Berry's and loved it there. We plan to visit Cat Island, Long Island and San Salvador in future years. One beautiful island at a time!

2. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 12:15
CT
Level Contributor
149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

Thanks to you both - great info. Abaco with the boat and golf cart sounds pretty nice. I commute a lot for my job, so no car is a definite plus! :)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

From your post, I was going to suggest Governor's Harbour in Eleuthera (as suggested by another poster, who referred to it as George Town above. George Town is in Exuma) The island is relatively narrow at Governor's Harbour and offers a few shops and restaurants as well as lots of rental homes (also have a look at North and South Palmetto Point, which are nearby) Tippy's is right on the beach and serves good food and tapas.

Hope Town in Abaco is nice too, but if you are used to Long Island, you may find it a bit too congested, though very attractive. The pace of life is slow and golf carts are the means of transport, but the houses are very close together for the most part. The seas are lovely and boat rentals easily available.

I would caution against Harbour Island as in comparison to Long Island, it would be almost disappointing. While the island has a nice beach, it is also quite populated with both locals and tourists alike, giving a bit of hustle and bustle as found in Nantucket without the charm.

As long as you are either fishing from shore or in a regulated rental boat, you will not need a license to fish. You should though, be aware of the Bahamian fishing laws which have closed seasons for both grouper and crawfish (lobster) and do not permit the taking of any marine life with scuba gear as well as closed and protected areas, among others.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

Take a look at Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos (fly into TCB airport- Treasure Cay Bahamas) then a very short taxi ride to a 15 minute or less ferry- the pace is slow, the people are wonderful and friendly, there are enough restaurants and bars, boat rentals are easy to find, and a golf cart is the mode of transportation. There are quite a few nice houses on the Atlantic side- we rented Bennett House in May and loved it, the location, and the great owners. Another one that was at the top of my list (but rented when we wanted to go) was Seastar on Gillam Bay.

We have also been to LI, Eleuthera, Exuma, Harbour Island, and other places in the Abacos like Hopetown but I think GTC might be a great idea for you.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

PS www.abacoforum.com is a helpful resource. On the "new member's forum" there are great "introductions" to each cay written by locals, second home owners or frequent visitors that give you the feel and flavor of each cay. The "main discussion forum" is a great place for advice and info.

www.abacoindex.com is also one of my favorite search locations with lots of links to info from all over the Abacos.

My first trip to Hopetown was about 25 years ago and it has grown and changed a lot- still holds a place in my heart- but I think GTC might suit you better. When we went in May, I had not been there in almost 20 years and still found it very unspoiled, lovely and peaceful.

CT
Level Contributor
149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

Great info - thanks for posting. This really helps me narrow down the places to look. I appreciate it!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

If you want to rent a boat, Eleuthera is not the place. Abaco or Exuma.

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

for boating Exuma and its tons of cays are the way to go.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing an Out Island - need advice

Just got back from a month on Eleuthera and have spent time on Long Island (back again in two weeks), Abaco and Exuma. We generally go with our wives so we don't rough it but concentrate on bonefishing. Really is a question about what you are looking for as everyone is different. Take a look at the section on Eleuthera on my website www.diyflatsfishing.com and it might help. If you have questions feel free to email me.