We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Island for snokrkling from beach

We are thinking about trying one of the outer Islands this summer. We love to snorkel from the beach.

I was wondering which Island would be best for this.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Search back through the out islands forums- this topic has been discussed many times recently so you should find lots of answers there.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Thanks for the usless response. I did try to google and search for sugestions. The end result is none of my freinds or myself understand enough to try the outer Islands. Thanks we will stick to what we know and love. Your answer was a let down for many of us how travel.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

I was not trying to be unhelpful- I was trying to direct you to answers from many people- some of whom have been to many islands I have not. Of the ones I can respond about: Great Abaco, Green Turtle Cay, Elbow Cay, Long Island, Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Great Exuma and Staniel Cay, I would say that from the beach, imo, Long Island might be the best but we did not hit Eleuthera at at time for great snorkeling so many would disagree with me about Eleuthera.

If you can operate a very small Boston Whaler then Staniel Cay is great fun. You should read about Great Guana Cay in the Abacos- I have day tripped there a few times but never spent a whole vacation there so I am no expert- which might have the best snorkeling from shore as well as gorgeous beaches.

This website will get you lots of help (I hope) from people who are more experienced than me: www.abacoforum.com. You can also check out www.abacoindex.com for a great overall view of those islands.

Did you do a TA search for "snorkeling from shore" on the Bahamas forums? That is what I meant for you to do. I am sorry it did not yield results.

I hope perhaps some of the recent posters like jungledriver, dustytraveller, nashpam, or some of the Eleuthera regulars will chime in with their ideas on this topic as well.

I hope you find a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Great Abaco Island
Great Abaco Island
Abaco Islands
Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay
Abaco Islands
Elbow Cay
Elbow Cay
115 Reviews
Great Abaco Island
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay
Out Islands
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Great Guana Cay
Great Guana Cay
74 Reviews
Great Guana Cay
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Thanks I will try your suggestions. I did try snokerling from shore but it only pulled up results from 2007. I will try the other suggestions.

Again thanks,

daisytown
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Seems a I am sorry for response in order . The people on here are great don't be mean

Nancy

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Yep, DnA is nothing but helpful and she takes alot of time out of her day to answer questions/make suggestions.

might be helpful too if you gave some more preferences or details about the trip. Some islands you'll need to rent a car, some a golf cart, some a boat. Budget? Looking for "hotel" type acommodations or a home? How remote do you want to be? Some islands can be reached from FL directly, others you have to fly through Nassau.

We've had great luck on Eleuthera and Long Island but it really depends on the weather. You'll need to rent a car on these 2 and it's best to stay in the middle of the island.

I've seen vidoes of Cat and the reefs look amazing there as well. I think the reef is too far from shore on Andros but could be reached from a kayak.

The summer should be a good time to go because the Atlantic will be calmer, unless of course there's a storm brewing.

You can see reefs and coral heads on Google Earth so you might want to look there as well. Unfortunatly there's not alot of detail for Long Island on Google Earth but so far that has been our best snorkeling trip. Diving was awesome as well.

We're headed to Great Guana in June, possibly Long Island again. Guana has a nice barrier reef system on the east side of the island so hopefully weather will cooperate for us so we can enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Andros
Andros
Out Islands
Great Guana Cay
Great Guana Cay
Abaco Islands
Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

We rented the Seabreeze house on Cat Island and found great snorkeling right from the beach.

Going to Andros next mont and would love to hear of any easy to reach reefs.

Mentioned in this post
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Andros
Andros
Out Islands
Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

Guana Cay.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

I took DnA advise and focused on Long Island Cape Santa Maria looks nice. We are flying into Nassua then using Pinapple Air.

I hope the weather is nice.

Thank you for the suggestions.

This is the first time trying the outer Islands.

We found great snokerling off the beach from Bonaire, but are looking forward the exploring the small islands of the Bahamas.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Cape Santa Maria Beach...
717 Reviews
Long Island
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Island for snokrkling from beach

I am a great fan of Cape Santa Maria on Long Island, have been there twice. It is a wonderful value and one of the nicest beaches anywhere. In the Out Islands I have also been to Cat Island 2x, Great Exuma, Harbour Island. I would not go to Cape Santa Maria to snorkel off the beach. It is fine, but that is definitely not the reason to go. If you want a friendly, laid back atmosphere and to roll off your beautiful screened porch onto a lounge chair on (or in) a picturesque quiet bay, then you will love it.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Cape Santa Maria Beach...
717 Reviews
Long Island
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Great Exuma