We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which outer island?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which outer island?

I'm planning a trip in mid June to the Bahamas with my best friend (2 married women - flying solo). I have not been to the Bahamas for 25 years. We'd like there to be a few things to do / see but would also like to avoid the tourist islands. We'd like to kayak, boat, lounge on the beach, shop, wine, dine, etc... I'd like to avoid the bugs - so a just a little bit of wind might be a good idea.... We'll probably rent a house / condo for 7-10 days.

We’re coming from the Seattle area and are DESPERATE for some sun.

Which island / bay / resort areas should we investigate? Thanks so much!

So many islands - so little time :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which outer island?

On Long Island I'd look at Whistling Duck Cottage. It's on a sheltered lagoon making for good swimming, kayaking, but it's on the windward side so the trade winds keep the critters at bay most of the time. It is only a one bedroom cottage with a queen bed so I don't know if that's a problem for you.

Another really nice rental home is Ryan's Ocean View, 2 bedroom, also windward and on a hill above the beach. The shore is not as sheltered for swimming (although just short walk down the beach is a more sheltered area), but in either case you would need a car, and there are many beautiful beaches within a few minutes to a half hour drive. Ryan's is next door to our house, so I can offer a nearby source of information. ;^)

A third windward option are the new Harbour Breeze Villas in Lochabar. I don't know much about them but they look quite nice.

All of the above places are listed on the HomeAway website. Just go to the Bahamas - Long Island section.

I can't say much for wining and dining. That sort of depends on what you are looking for. There are small restaurants and bars in plenty, with Max's Conch Bar being one of the most notable. Nothing really upscale, mostly local fare, but good food - we have not had a bad meal anywhere on the island in the 10 years we've been going there. Both rentals I mentioned also have full kitchen facilities so you can do some meals at "home" too.

Any more questions I'll try to answer as best I can.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 02:26
Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Hope Town Harbour Lodge
Hope Town Harbour Lodge
316 Reviews
Elbow Cay
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which outer island?

I agree- so many islands and so little time!

You might want to read about Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos where you can rent a golf cart to get around the island to places to eat/drink - you can go out on diving, snorkeling, or fishing trips that are not hard to find. There are many nice houses to rent through vrbo, homeaway or rental agencies.

You might also check into Great Exuma where you would need a rental car but there is exploring to do, beautiful beaches, day trips you can take up the cays, etc.

I am not sure i can think of an out island we have visited- and we have been to quite a few- where there is much shopping beyond a few local places- some, however, with beautiful local art or craft items. It is always as much shopping as I need to do!!

Happy travels and I hope you find the perfect vacation. I am not sure you could go wrong in the out islands!

Mentioned in this post
Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay
Abaco Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
College Station...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which outer island?

I Green Turtle Cay. I responded with details via message.

Mentioned in this post
Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay
Abaco Islands
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which outer island?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Long Island, Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos and Great Exuma sound wonderful. What are your thoughts on Eleuthera? Is Eleuthera quite touristy?

Other suggestions welcomed. I appreciate your words of wisdom!

Edited: 02 April 2012, 18:43
Mentioned in this post
Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay
Abaco Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which outer island?

Eleuthera is not touristy at all. You might see a few more tourists at places like Sky Beach, Beach House, Tippys and the Friday night fish fry in Governor's Harbour but the island itself is far from touristy. Harbour Island more so but not mainland Eleuthera. Long Island is even less so. We love both islands.

Will be going to Great Guana Cay in the Abacos next month and worried it may be a little too much like Florida for us but we'll still have a good time. We like to take the road less traveled if you know what I mean.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Tippy's
Tippy's
912 Reviews
Eleuthera
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Great Guana Cay
Great Guana Cay
74 Reviews
Great Guana Cay
Florida
Florida
United States
6. Re: Which outer island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:26