We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Completely unrealistc budget??

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Completely unrealistc budget??

Hi everyone. I wonder if someone here can help ....

I've wanted to go to Eleuthera ever since I read about it in a book when I was little. Finally we're hoping to make it there some time next winter/spring. I've just started doing some in-depth research & we're looking at Andros, Cat Island or Eleuthera itself. We really want to do nothing other than potter around, swim, snorkel, read, gaze into the distance .... We don't need anything other than basic accommodation: a comfy bed would be great, kitchenette useful to save money on eating out & beachfront would be fabulous - apart from that we really don't ask for much! Upmarket resorts are really not our thing.

Now, our accommodation budget for around two weeks is realistically no more than £1000 - I guess around US$1,500. Is this completely hopeless or might we be lucky? I've seen a couple of rentals that look idyllic for around this price so might we have a chance? Otherwise we may have to wait until we've got more money to spend. (Obviously we've got money for flights & spending money on top of this!)

I'd be really grateful if someone could let us know their thoughts before we get our hopes up too much ....

Many thanks for any advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

Argh. Huge apologies for the typo in the title - I hate that. "Unrealistic" obviously. Sorry to any fellow pedants out there!

*bangs head on desk*

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

That is a fairly tight budget but it can be done. Have a look at the VRBO listing for Seaglass Cottage in Ranbow Bay, Eleuthera. It is $800 a week, across from a nice beach, 1-bedroom, and well equipped. Food and gas are expensive but you can keep costs to a reasonable level if you do most of your own cooking. The toruist oriented restaurants are pricey, but some of the smaller restaurants that cater more to locals are reasonable. Car rental runs about $50 a day, and it is difficult to manage without a car on islands like Eleuthera. There are not many organized activities, so entertainment costs are easy to manage.

College Station...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

If you want to consider another out-island, there is a nice, budget rental, on Green Turtle Cay called Ma Mazie's @ $600/week and you might be able to negotiate a deal on a cart rental when you rent the cottage.

www.greenturtlerentals.com/mmc/ma_mazies.html

Read-up on Green Turtle Cay before you decide on this destination. It's quaint qualities are well not suited to any traveler's who are looking a vacation with access to fast food and lots of trinket vendors.

pinterest.com/bgriesbach/…

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

not familiar with Eleuthera, but it's doable on Long Island. Not a tourisy place, so prices are more local. Check out some of the cottage rentals on FlipKey.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

If you do go to Eleuthera, don't forget to budget for a car rental, in the area of $50/day

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I was already wondering whether Cat Island or Long Island might prove a bit cheaper although the beaches on Eleuthera really do look unbeatable.

We definitely don't need fast food outlets & trinket sellers - the more "local" the better as far as we're concerned. Just out of curiosity I've been reading some of the reviews for Sandals Emerald Bay & frankly I'd rather stay home than go there. Absolutely no offence meant to people who love places like that - it's just REALLY not for us. Although OH does insist on a comfortable bed!

I've found a few rental places that seem within our budget so I guess the next step is to decide on an island .... a pretty nice way to waste some time, sitting here in the cold grey damp UK!

Thanks again everyone.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

In my opinion, if you've been dreaming of Eleuthera, then you should go to Eleuthera.

That being said, we rented this place on Long Island: vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a22848

It's $1035 for a week but that includes an Izuzu Trooper rental. It's not on a nice sandy beach, more like dramatic rocky cliffs but there is a beach nearby and it has a pool which was nice in July when we went. There's another villa next to it but it was only rented a couple of days while we were there. We mostly stay gone during the day exploring so as a home base for sleeping and eating it was fine. If you do stay there, just have her give it a good spring cleaning and maybe call an exterminator out. We had issues with these but nothing that would keep us from renting it again. You can't beat it for that price. There's a small porch facing the ocean and the views are really awesome.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

Long Island beaches are every bit as nice as Eleuthera. If the laid back style is your preference, then I can't imagine anything that would be better than LI. You would need to rent a car, but that is true on most of the Out Islands. There are many possible rental homes for Long Island on the HomeAway website. One that my wife and I used several times is Whistling Duck, but it may be slightly higher than what you say your budget is. It was about $900 per week for one bedroom with kitchen. It is very private, right on the lagoon south of Clarence Town harbor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

Decisions, decisions - all these places look fabulous.

Honestly, why haven't I been to the Bahamas before? I've always loved the Caribbean but had written the Bahamas off as being too swish & resorty & filled with golf courses & men in pastel leisure-wear. I guess we usually only hear of them in the UK with regard to the Atlantis so I'd assumed that all the islands were full of places like that.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions so far - many happy hours of website-browsing ahead.

xx

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Completely unrealistc budget??

As for the comfy bed, do your homework before you rent. You've mentioned it in 2 posts, so I understand your concern.

In my experience, the beds in rental properties, especially older rentals (which tend to be cheaper) tend to have ancient mattresses. I will not name names in this forum, but if you do find something you are interested in, post the info for feedback and do not be shy about questioning the owners about the age/condition of the beds.