We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Bahamas Trip

2 posts
Save Topic
First Bahamas Trip

I am looking for a Summer trip and really am liking what I read about the out islands. I have never been to the Bahamas and am wandering if there are any qualms with my first trip to the Bahamas being to the out islands? Or what I should expect in making the transition from Nassau out?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Bahamas Trip

Go for it and enjoy!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Bahamas Trip

The Out Islands are the BEST part of the Bahamas IMHO and I've been to Nassau and Paradise Island. We had a lovely vacation in on Great Guana Cay in The Abacos. The beaches we were on were so pristine and the water gin clear.

Other Out Islands I've researched and have on my bucket list are:

Andros (3rd largest barrier reef on the planet.)

Harbor Island

Long Island

The Exumas

Happy Planning! ;~>

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Bahamas Trip

The Out Islands are my favorite part of the Bahamas.

The transition from Nassau depends on your connections. Many people are able to fly into Nassau and then connect the same day to one of the Out Islands. We visited Long Island in April and overnighted in Nassau and then flew out on an early morning flight to Stella Maris Airport.

Also depending on which island you choose, you may be able to skip the Nassau connection. When we flew into Georgetown (Exuma), American Airlines flies through Miami then straight to Georgetown (GGT.)

The Out Islands are amazing! Happy Travels!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Bahamas Trip

I am assuming you are flying from somewhere in Texas? Check American and Continental (now United?) for flights via Miami or Ft. Lauderdale into MHH (Marsh Harbour, Bahamas) if you are interested in the Abacos and avoid Nassau entirely. Like IntheBurgh we flew via MIA into Georgetown and that was an easy trip as well. Although we went through Nassau, I think you can fly into Governor's Harbour (GHB) in Eleuthera through Florida as well. Personally I prefer to avoid going through Nassau when we can!

There is a lot of helpful information on the Abacos at www.abacoforum.com and they are very helpful to newbies!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Bahamas Trip

Having been 8 or 9 times, I think the out islands are the best. Nassau is a must do, but only once. The beauty is in the solitude of Eleuthera and Exuma.

exuma
Level Contributor
292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Bahamas Trip

The Out Islands beat Nassau hands down !

I have visited all the out islands and my favorite is Exuma. Direct flights to Exuma International start from Miami (American), from Lauderdale (United) from Atlanta (Delta) from Toronto (Air Canada).

College Station...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Bahamas Trip

If this helps, here is my blog from our recent trip to Green Turtle Cay.

GTCTravels.blogspot.com

southeast, georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Bahamas Trip

The Out Islands are by far the best of the Bahamas! I stay on Nassau for one night because the flights to Great Inagua only operate on Mon, Wed, and Fri. I have family in Matthew Town, Inagua so it doesn't seem so foreign, but it's not a tourist atttraction by far.. Just lots and LOTS of flamingos and wild donkey. A couple local bars and a shop or two selling snacks, drinks, etc.. The locals are super friendly and really knowledgeable about the island's history. The best time to go is for the Homecoming celebration the first Monday in August or around the Christmas/Boxing Day Junkanoo celebrations. I am counting down my trip back to Inagua - 36 days away! I hope you enjoy your trip when/where ever you go :)

9. Re: First Bahamas Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:15