We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island Snorkeling

daisytown
Level Contributor
591 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long Island Snorkeling

We have been to Eleuthera a few times and really have enjoyed,it. I love to snorkle and have found enough to keep me happy on Eleuthera. How does Long Island compare? Is there a particular area to stay that would be better for snorkeling. I m looking at a house on Caribbean side , calm water but is there any reef?

Nancy

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island Snorkeling

We did not do alot of snorkeling on the sea side except to Flamingo tongue reef but you can only access it by boat. We also hit Gordon's but it was very cloudy. Driving along the coast, I didn't really see any accessible reefs on that side of the island. The best snorkeling (better than Eleuthera in my opinion) was on the Atlantic side. We went in July and the water was pretty calm. Long Island has alot of horse-shoe shaped beaches as well that are a bit more protected. We haven't been back since Irene and Sandy so I hope they didn't do much damage. We really enjoyed the snorkeling we found at Columbus Monument, Stella Maris tide pools, many random beaches on Atlantic and bonachorde. We stayed in Pettys which is in the middle of the island.

2. Re: Long Island Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 00:15