We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island(s) for upcoming trip?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which island(s) for upcoming trip?

Hello friendly travelers,

I look to your expertise for advice in planning an upcoming (January/ February 2013) trip to the Caribbean to fit the following preferences:

- beachfront accommodations, preferably a villa/ cottage rental rather than large hotel or resort

- decent beach snorkeling within walking distance of accommodations (at least one good spot nearby is preferable. We don't mind having to drive to explore others, we just don't want it to be a necessity to do everything.)

- a location with some options for drinks and dining out, preferably at least one or two within walking distance as well

- a beach environment that is not super crowded or over-developed

- within budget of $1500-$2800 for a week's accommodations

I have been looking into Providenciales, Anegada, Anguilla, St John, Virgin Gorda, Vieques or Culebra, and the Out Islands of the Bahamas, but am having trouble coming to a decision. Recommendations for other locales not included in the list are welcomed, and suggestions regarding those mentioned are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Leah

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island(s) for upcoming trip?

So many islands - so little time :)

I like looking through Trip Reports, especially ones with *photos* (like the ones below) - so that I can see where's right...!

Great Exuma? (FoodieGirlKY) -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147429-i786-k6335…

Staniel Cay? (Kristen1206) - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147432-i7577-k650…

Eleuthera? (DonK) tripadvisor.com/…52425277

and Tracey3345's "Abaco ain't for Sissies but we went anyway"... :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1937814-i21871-k6…

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island(s) for upcoming trip?

Exuma might be a good choice to meet what you are looking for. Check Staniel Cay or if you want real quiet, but still restaurant/bar, look at Highbourne Cay. Also, on Long Island, the Resort at Cape Santa Maria also has lovely villas, and is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean, according to Island Magazine. Harbor side Villas in the south of Long Island would be good also, but a car to restaurant.

3. Re: Which island(s) for upcoming trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:22