We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go????? where to stay?????

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
where to go????? where to stay?????

my hubby and i (in our mid-50's) are in a quandary as to what outer island(s) to visit. we're not high-maintenance. we're big eco-resort/family-run resort/small hotel and inn fans; as long as it's clean, we're happy. depending on if the lodging's an a-i or not will determine how much we'd prefer to spend per night. we don't like to "dress up." he loves to snorkel and can stay in the water all day, and i love a good beach where i can lounge and read. we're in good physical shape and love to hike and explore. we're not fans of nightlife and prefer to wake up early to enjoy as much daytime (and vacation!) as possible. he's a vegetarian, and i'm a pescetarian. we'd love to be able to visit more than one island if "do-able;" if not, no big deal.

any advice/suggestions as to island(s) and accommodation(s) would be greatly appreciated!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

Vegetarian and out islands is pretty hard to do. There are some local farms but availability is spotty, and normally snapped up quickly by people who know when it's available. In the Abacos, restaurants have rice and beans (not often available as a separate side), and french fries (sweet potato fries are readily available). Most salads have some type of cheese added, and whether you can get it without the cheese is questionable (you can ask for it, but it might still be there). Elbow Cay has a pretty good selection of restaurants, but all I can think of that's vegetarian (without cheese) is Hummus and Fried Pickles at Firefly and Vegetable Tempura at the Abaco Inn. Both are good, but not much for more than a few days. Staniel Cay Yacht Club has vegetarian selections for all of their meals. Their rooms are booked well in advance, and other accomodations on the island are pretty sparse.

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

we're not averse to vacationing at any of the outer islands, so we'll do our research before moving forward. thanks so much!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

For Eco resorts, check out Lubbers Landing in the Abacos. If you can drive a boat you can rent one for about $120 a day through the resort and visit other islands. There is only 1 other establishment on that island so you really need to be able to operate a boat, The cottages have small kitchens so you can cook some yourselves. Also check out Small Hope Bay Lodge. Meals and drinks are included in their nightly rate. It's a very sleepy island and the lodge is rustic but the food we had there was amazing.

There are a bunch of small hotels scattered through the islands. Stella Maris on Long Island is really nice and the grocery store in Salt Pond has vegetarian items like tempeh and tofu.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

What time of year are you looking at traveling? There are farms in Long Island and Exuma that produce a variety of veggies from November thru May. On Long Island, Max's Conch Bar serves vegetarian food often, and will cater to special requests if possible. chez Pierre has pasta dishes and will make a Pizza Without cheese. You can order Conch Salad without the conch, and it's still awesome! Most restaurants offer salads. And if you had a kitchen, you would be able to find lots of ingredients to cook yourself.

I have had guests fly into Georgetown, stay a few nights, and take the Tuesday morning Ferry to Long Island for a few more days, then fly out back to Nassau. An interesting way to see more than one island, without being in the Abacos!

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

we're not certain when we'd be going as of yet. do you have advice on that? we'd prefer the mid-to-high 80's.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

Well, it's been in the 80's all week! March, April and May are usually lovely. All depends on what is going on in the states, but the fronts are usually mild by the time they reach this far south. The Northern Bahamas tend to be cooler with more cold fronts, but Long Island and the lower Exumas are at the Tropic of Cancer, and our weather is normally more benign. This time of year the gardens are great for veggies, the water is still around 76-78' and it's beautiful.

7. Re: where to go????? where to stay?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29